Wasting money on fliers!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CTmower, Mar 17, 2005.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Just got my mail today and inside my newspaper box was a flyer for a local landscaping company. As i drove down my street which only consists of 14 houses i noticed everyone got one. If this landscaper would of done his research before wasting his time and money going down my street he would have relized that not only am i a landscaper, but the neighbor behind me and one at the beginning of my street is one as well. Im sure it didnt cost that much money for those 14 fliers but when you look at it on a larger scale that company is just throwing money out the window trying to get customers it will never get. There are certain places in my town or surrounding area that i know other companies have had for years and theres no way i could ever get them. I personally have always gone by word of mouth, recommendations, and ads in the local newspapers. Just thought I'd share my beginning of mowing season with you guys.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

How much "research" would you do to save 5 cents?

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

LOL :D...I agree!

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Is there a "Local Landscapers and Where They Live At" guidebook for your area? The guy might have paid someone else to put them out for him.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry dude...it won't happen again. :)

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Nowadays there is 1-10 landscapers in every neighborhood. I still manage to get works in neighborhoods I do not live in :)

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

.....maybe that's what this guy was thinking as well...nothing ventured, nothing gained

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

And furthermore, who said that doctor was allowed to see a doctor?

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I always get 3-4 calls a year from the big green guys wanting me to use them to fert my lawn. I give the last guy credit, he tried a few different angles even after I told him I was in the biz. He told me he would save me time of having to mess with my own yard. Good saleman, they start first app next week :blush:

10. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

How is he supposed to know landscapers live there? It's all fair game to me.