wasting my time cleaning ztr at end of week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Apr 22, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Is it a good idea to wipe the mower down at the end of the work week or am i just wasting my time?

2. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

do customers like to see a professional looking business cutting their grass?
    i think its kinda the same question.
    i like to clean mine more often if its dirty, last year i had a lady ask me if i had gotten a new mower 1/2 way through the season because of how good it looked.

3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Not at all.. It's all about image to a lot of people and it should be for you also. A clean mower looks good and is a good time to really check out all the parts and grease everything. :cool2:

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how many guys clean their mowers & trucks daily?

or how often do you guys clean the fleet?

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I clean my mower weekly. I wash the truck every other week probably unless its dirty then i wash it whenever its dirty.

Washing them weekly not only keeps the appearence good but also your cleaning around the engine alot so you'll notice if something is leaking or going wrong and you can get to it faster and fix it before it gets worse. By keeping your engine clean your also going to run cooler which is going to help last longer. The fins and around the spark plugs of the engines are almost always clogged up and thats the engines cooling system basicly, most people over look this and it kills the life of the engine.

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

We blow them off after each lawn and a hand wash as needed, no high pressure water, only use car wash, no heavy duty/harsh cleaners.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You should sterilize your blades after every mow by spraying a mix of alcohlol and water on them and wipe them off.For sanitation and to keep any lawn disease you may have picked up on your blades from spreading to the next lawn.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I try to keep all of my equipment as clean as possible. Usually on the weekend when I'm not cutting I'll wash my truck and mowers. I like the idea of looking good. My grandfather kept all of his equipment clean, he was a farmer, and today his 40 year old tractor looks like it's about 5 years old. Before the start of this season, I cleand up my 260Z to the point it looked brand new except the scratches and scrapes and the places that you couldn't get to clean without taking a lot of things apart.

9. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I never ever clean my mowers, Only blow them off about once a month.
    I wash the truck about once a month also.
    I think its a waste of MY TIME.

10. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you do that and give up all the work you would get from reparing the diseased lawns. In this economy it's all about jobs and creating them. I'm just trying to create another position in my company. :laugh: