1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Watch out Dixie...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, May 25, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Just got my new Grounds Maintenance magazine today and in the buyers guide they have a Hustler Super Z. They don't have their website updated, but the specs in the magazine show a 15 mph top speed with a 60 inch deck. The approximate price listed is 8995. I've never run Hustler equipment, but this outa be one heck of a mower.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, about a month ago the hustler rep. from on here came down and gave me a demo, it was on the regulaer z that they have now and if the super z is just like it, its well worth buying. i got my gounds mag. yesturday, good mag. its to bad not all the pricest for every company were listed, but their were a few good articles.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler Super Z will be built starting in july, and available to dealers as soon as they come off the assembly line.
    The suggested list price for the unit is 8995.00 with the standard seat, and 9390.00 for the unit with the suspension seat.

Differences from the standard unit are:
    25hp kawasaki, remote air filtration system, hydro coolers, larger hydro gear pumps (bdp21's), and white wheel motors (ce20's)

This unit will do 15mph out of the crate (transport speed), mowing speed will vary with conditions
    Most dealers have pre ordered units, so if ya wanna see em start calling now, to get in line.

4. fastmowing

fastmowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Go to your Hustler dealer in July for a test drive.

I was able to get a quick demo on a Super Z earlier this week. Driving into the wind, my cap almost flew off. The transport speed is 14 mph - - at least. The mower is very similar to the regular Z. I liked the handling and the stability on the hills.

Fun, fun machine...
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

The mower could go 50 MPH's for what it's worth. You certainly can't cut at 14 MPH anyways. Blade tip speed is 18,000 fpm and that's law. The grass will not cut worth a horses a$$ at 14 much less 10 miles an hour. Top speed means nothing when you factor in all the conditions, terrain, height of grass, moisture content, etc. The blade and cutting ability will not be able to keep up to the MPH!
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe not, but it would be a blast gettin' back to the trailer:blob3:

Who says you can't cut grass at 10-13 miles an hour, I do it all the time. Looks good too!:D
  7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here we go AGAIN......
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

amazingly, even John Deere is advertising it's big out front, the 1400 I think, will mow at 11 mph. my midmount diesel is 10 at the top and it mows fine at top, but man those bumps and holes hurt, even with an aftermarket suspension seat. to mow faster, like on the dry flat weeklies, you need the ind. suspension of the ferris 4000, the soft tires of the dixie chopper, and that cool suspension seat available on the lazer, a semi-illegal tip speed, and probably at least 27 hp, maybe 31.

I'd like to buy the super z, but my last hustler ( shortcut, 54"deck, 25 hp kohler) had LOTS of problems. My dealer here is horrible, at least 2 weeks turnaround, and no parts inventory on belts, switches, hoses, anything. I know the big hustler outfronts are tanks, but they weigh in like tanks too. The walk behind we have is easy to train folks on with the h-bar, but I woe the day when it breaks. Dave g
  9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

mowerconsultant, hey next time you're in ohio and you have time to come down and let me demo the super z give me a call or email me, next year i will be getting a 60" lazer or the super z.
  10. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

The blade tip speed is regulated at 19,000 revelutions per minute or lower. My Great Dane's blade tip speed is at or around 18,700 according to my dealer. And for the record, as long as the grass isn't extremely tall, or the ground isn't extremely bumpy, I can cut grass at 10 mph.
    And I'm sorry to inform Randy Scott, but I have demoed the Dixie Chopper's 60' diesel and the Suburb'N' Turbin, and yes, that haus of a mower can and will cut grass at top speed "around 14 mph", without even considering to bog down. If you don't believe me, ask Eric or Homer, they have the Dixie's now