1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

watch out for fireworks when mowing!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I mowed a yard with a bunch of used fireworks on it... I ran over them carelessly (cheap and careless customer). Apparently the customer forgot to use some of the fireworks... I ran over them and they exploded under the deck, scared the crap out of me!
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

That's a rough way to get around scraping your deck...(LOL)

Good point though. A lot of people don't think about what is left behind.
    Watch out for the wires and sticks that can puncture tires or worse, be relaunched by your blades.

3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

I always wondered whether that would happen or not!

We've found quite a few fireworks this past week and have luckily seen them before mowing them!
  4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I gotta ask - what kind of fireworks explode by being hit with a mower blade?
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I'm gonna go do it on purpose with a pile of firecrackers

6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Give me a time and a place and I will be there with beer for both of us. :cool2:
  7. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have ran some different fireworks over before with the mower, but never had any explode, might happen I guess :dizzy:
  8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldnt they need some source of a spark to make them explode?Unless it was some home made ones ive never heard of such a thing happening.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree... i don't think they can "light" without an ignition source. the impct of the blade isn't gonna cut it *bad pun*

On a related note... anyone ever ran over a disposable lighter? I hit one and swore I heard a pretty good pop but I don't know if it was actually the thing exploding or just the blades smashing the plastic. I know a lighter will boom pretty good if you smash it on the concrete! I kinda avoid runining them over to say the least.
  10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Fireworks in general do need a light to set them off but firecrackers and in my case a M-80 will go off from a impact. Like cap guns of the old days. Caps had little spots of gun powder and the hammer of the gun struck it and kapow.