Watch out for the elderly!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mpblass, Jun 8, 2004.

1. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

While my crew and I were out mowing yesterday this old lady clipped one of my guys with her car. He was edging a curb on a side street and this car drives by and grazes his rear thigh. Luckily he wasnt injured. The bad thing is the lady never saw him even after she hit him.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I see guys edging in the road all the time, usually employees, and think to myself that they just don't understand how many really bad drivers there are out there or they'd have their head on a swivel and get out of the way when cars come by. One guy reaching for something he drops in a car, an old lady, whatever, and you could wind up sprayed all over the street.

I don't have enough trust in people's driving to edge while cars are whizzing by.

3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I had this happen to me once. I was blowing a street curb and this old bag comes by in a Ford Ranger and the mirror grabs my blower and spins me around. She never even stopped or looked back. I was pissed off to say the least. My back hurt for weeks after that. Now, and I am sure I will be flamed cause we had this discussion before, if it is a busy road we just blow clippings out in the middle of the street. Some people get peeved at us but it is better than getting hit by a car. I remember a couple of years back this dude shoots me the bird and by instant reaction I returned the gesture:D

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bruce, you're right about bad drivers. I have seen so many unbelievably stupid moves that nothing surprises me. I will never turn my back to a running car with a driver at the wheel, even if the car is stoppe and in park, unless I know them personally to be a good driver. I don't have any accounts on busy roads, so I can't speak for trying to do WORK near a highway. I wonder what a day in the life of a construction work is like?

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Same here, my employees dad owns an eye care center off of 635 in dallas (probably the biggest highway in north texas), and his building is on the service road. I always just blow clippings off into the street. It's not worth risking your life for with all these crazy drivers out there.

6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

With all the rain we had up here in Michigan in May, 11 inches to be precise, the city enacted a clause in the City Charter to start fining people found to be blowing grass clippings into the streets because they were clogging up the catch basins and causing low intersections to flood.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I almost got hit in the middle of a snow storm by a plow truck. It was 2 am. I was out plowing with my kubota (the trucks 2 wheel drive. All my accounts are 1.5 miles from the shop, so the tractor w/ 3pt snowblower and loader mounted plow does all the plowing). I got warning lights, lights facing forward, backward, sideways, tail lights and head lights one. Its all light up, so I can be seen. But this guy driving a state owned plow truck still almost hit me. By a foot or less. I was driving down the road, he was coming the other way. Then turn into my side of the street. I turned into the ditch, so not to get hit. He had to be aiming for me or something. Or maybe he was being attracted by the light, like bugs do. Took me 10 minutes to get out. aarrrgggghhhhhh.

I also am on the fire department. I have seen to many rubber necking accidents occur. If people would watch the dame road, not the accident, they wouldn't hit somebody else. One departments around me had to have a new front end put on a ambulance because somebody was watching us as the drove by and smashed head first into the ambulance. Only put the unit out of service for two weeks.

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

One of my commercial accounts is a veterinarian's office, on a very bad road. I mean, bad.....this road is rated one of the most dangerous in the U.S.! Bayou Liberty Road ( LA 433 ), no shoulder, huge ditches, blind curves, it's got it all. And of course, I have to be practically IN the street at times, so a few months ago I purchased a DAYGLO ORANGE tee shirt, and try to wear that when I do this account, if I can remember to bring it in the morning. They seem to slow down more when I am wearing it.....wish me luck. 8(

9. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

So do they threaten to cut down all trees that may shed leaves on to the roadways as well? Bogus ordinance if you ask me. I have blown thatch out in the road and with in 5 minutes on a busy road you cannot even tell it was there. The only reason we have such laws here in my city, and this is what I was told, was to harass blacks that cut lawns for a living back in the 60's and 70's. We had a very very racist police chief that was always looking for ways to give black people a hard time. Now they do not even enforce it. However the other day I probably came close to being one of the first in a long long time for it to be used on. There were a couple of "bike jockeys" or police on motorcycles if you will, coming right my direction. They almost got powdered with grass . I was lucky to have caught myself before I blasted them.

10. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i almost hit TWO (not one, but two) city employees of coppell, tx yesterday. these fools were trimmin the median walking in the street on a 6 lane road - Belt Line (those in DFW know it well). and one had a big ol sheet eatin grin on his face doin it like he was flyin in the face of the cars. he almost ate something alright! my grill. the other one going the other way was one handin his edger with a smoke hangin out his mouth.

what a site!