Watch out for THEESE people

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, May 20, 2008.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Hey new guys, heres the best advice you'll ever get from anybody in the lawn mowing out for people who offer you drinks! Thats right, at first it seems like theese are nice people who care about you, but thats not the case. Taking the drink is like selling your soul to the devil. All 4 people I have that constantly stick sodas and waters in my truck are the SAME people that ask me to do work when "I'm not busy", constantly ask me for tiny pain in the a$$ favors. Theese people really couldn't care less if you were stranded in the desert with a gallon of camel piss. I had one beverage buster ask me if I could bring her boat home from the marina in my spare time.....I told her there's no such thing as spare time.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the camel piss one. I must say I have a couple people that offer me water or soda. They dont ask for any extras and they are very very good customers. In some cases yes it is very true, some it is not.
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one client, an older lady with a pita yard...weed patch and dog crap in the back yard..i only cut it because its next door to my other one, but she leaves me a soda at every visit. well, guess i'll be waiting for the questions from her...LOL..will you do this, will you do that..i try to get in and out as fast as i can! LOL
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wow someone else SEES it!

Finally someone else on LS who SEES this garbage lmao!
    Yes sir, I know exactly what you mean.

btw I did learn the Christmas Bonus (as in CASH) is NOT usually like that (thou it could be, but it usually isn't).
    Just thought I'd mention that.
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

As a basic rule of thumb I dont accept anything from clients except payment. I usually politely decline on the beverages, the only exception is if it is 100 degrees and safety is a concern.
  6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i agree, i always have water though. and i tell all my guys they cant take anything either.
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

In some cultures, it's taken as an insult to refuse a gesture of generosity.

I guess I'm lucky... if a customer gives me something extra, it's not like there is a string attached.

A gallon of camel piss... that's funny. :laugh: Good one!
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to agree with this statement!
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week the lady gave us a 6pack shes like i am not cheap like the rest of people. she owns 3 houses in a row and only lives in one with her little kid and we mow all of them everyweek. shes got money and she dont care i dont drink thou.
  10. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

You ain't lying.