Watch out for this phone call!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just got off the phone with some fool trying to send me, via UPS new "labor law and OSHA posters". Ok, great, I can get those FREE I assume, or for cheap about anywhere. (office supply place) The guy wanted to make sure my address was correct, etc. ok... Then mumbled on about how he was going to ship them out and then invoice me for $89.95!!!! WHAT??? I stopped him and said NO, Hell NO. TOld him several times that they would NOT send me anything and NOT invoice me for anything. What a freaking scam. Just beware...

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean, that's just the kind of stupid stuff likes to come around and aggravate me, too.
    Nothing you or I can do thou, best to just try and tolerate it some kind of way,
    I know, easier said than done, at least for me it is is.

Your answer to that call however, was quite proper in my book.
    Sure gets the message across, one hopes.

Always something, maybe it's designed to keep us on our toes lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. theheisk

theheisk LawnSite Member

4. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

My second job a lawn and garden place gotta call from "Visa"... Visa called badge number blah blah... extension number plus their name. They called because a charge of 495.95 had been placed on the card and they stopped it. They said the name on the credit card, address, numbers on the front and asked for security purposes the 3 or 4 digit number on back... thats all they need is the numbers on the back. they talked for a bit and said thank you for your cooperation, if you have any questions call 1-800whatever. We had a question about 20 mins later... the number they give you is the true visa security office number. we called and sure enough they had charger the 495.95 15 minutes before we called. They have all the information needed they just need the numbers on the back... if someone calls you like this... hang up and call the 1-800 number and see what the person said is real of not but do not give them the numbers on the back!!

5. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

That's a variation on a common scam against small businesses. They try to get some low-level employee on the phone and browbeat them into saying yes to something like that, then insist that you pay for a shipment of some kind of overpriced crap (usually office supplies or printer toner). Another variation is when they send a shipment of cheap office supplies without calling first, then send a huge bill after enough time has passed that someone opened and used the supplies so that they can't be returned.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I had a call very similar to this about a year ago. It was for some sort of tool set. They were going to send me a swet of impacts and some other hings, then anted to bill me later. the guy was relentless at first, and I took this call as I was walking through Home Depot, so then I just let him go on. I let hi waste about 10 to 15 minutes of his time before I told him there is no way I am ordering or accepting anything, so don't bother sending it. Boy, did HE get upset. I remember him just screaming "well why didn't you just hang up, then!"
    It was worth every bit of the grin knowing that i wasted that much of his time.
    the other guy that gets me is the guy who calls you, and plays like he knows you. He'll say something like"Last time I talked with you, you were ankle deep in grass!". well,...he always wants to open up with "a bad joke". they want to sell cheap rakes and shovels out of Arizona, I believe. If you just shut them down, they always want to make a snide remark and hang up on you. Morons.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

A company similar, if not the same as that one, used to call me.
    I said used too as once I lit off the air horn over the phone all I heard was a receiver clattering and a guy yelling "What in the Hell was that????".
    Works on other telemarketers too.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I had a similar situation a few years back. It was a call from the "Better Business Bureau". They wanted me to give them MY credit card number NOW so they could put my name on their site as a "good business". Umm, that's FREE. I though... Needless to say they tried damn hard, told me that if I didn't accept their offer right now over the phone I could never do it. I asked them to MAIL me the information so I could look at it and decide. Nope, they could not. Uh, sounds to me like they needed the BBB called on THEM. It was surely a SCAM. If I recall they did call me back a couple years later. I told them exactly that, someone needs to call the BBB and report this scam. they hung up on me!

9. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

The BBB is a joke. They call me once a year to tell me that an inquiry about me has been made. They tell me that it's nothing bad, and that i should join to let people know I'm a reputable business. They are a scam that wants your money.

10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today at my full time job saying how they just needed to check the model number of our printer to send out more spools of printer paper. All of our office supplies is done through our headquarters and they ship it to us. I know we use WB Mason. When they gave me some other company name I told the guy how we only work with Dunder Miflan, and were real happy with them. He just hung up on me.