Watch out Guys!!!!

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by goodbeus, Jun 20, 2003.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

The thieves are out and about...Jacksonville, Fla anyway...my brother runs a small outfit, was in Riverside, left the racks unlocked to go roll up a hose in the backyard...Told me it took him 2 minutes, came back: edger gone...but it was extremely old, a Stihl though, and he was glad they didn't take a brand new Stihl trimmer and new Stihl pole trimmers( the extended one with the angle cutting blades...just lettin' ya know...

2. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Yep the other day I left the garage open went into the back yard 90 seconds later I return and the kids bike is gone. Bloody thieves! Thank god I have everything locked. Tool box included. What I don't understand is why they didn't take the chain saw. Anyway to make a long story short we live in a gated community and their have been like 5 bikes on my street stolen. But only on garbage day. Gee you think that has something to do with it...?

3. T-N-T Lawn Care

T-N-T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yep! I live in the Riverside area as well in Jacksonville. He must have been on Post St. I live there. You do have to be very carefull.

Tina

4. goodbeus

He was at Edgewood & Donald St....I also had a new blower stolen at that same location 3 years ago...:cry:

5. T-N-T Lawn Care

Yeah... I try to avoid those areas. Do you have alot of lawns off there.? I have a few. I don't like those too much. I try to stay close to the river. I wanted all Riverside but ended up gettin all Julington Creek and Mandrin. Few in Riverside.

Tina

6. goodbeus

I started out with a ton of Riverside accounts...over the years, I've lost a lot to new guys starting out there charging next to nothing...I had 2 days of work, now it's half a day...

7. T-N-T Lawn Care

Thats the way it's been for me too. I've been doing a lot of flyers
    out here lately and I ran into a guy that had no trailer or truck just a 21' mower and a car with reg. stuff. He has most of his off Park Street. Which is a very nice area. He said he had all five in a row and charged $25 a cut. I could not believe it. I told him he was crazy and needed to raise his prices. He said what do you know your a lady. I just left him alone. But I have been in the business since I was a little kid. My dad owns his own business in Central Florida so I grew up learning from him. I love doing it. Just to much cut throat.

Tina

8. goodbeus

That's why I don't market in Riverside anymore...I love the accounts, most of them are short and sweet, but like you said..to much cut throat...as for the woman comment, I wouldn't mide hiring a few...they seem to want to work and have a better eye for detail...these white guys want the money, but don't want to work for it...If they actually do come in, they complain...feel like I run a nursery...

9. T-N-T Lawn Care

I know what you mean. I do have a hard time getting work because I am a woman. I show up and the guy i'm talking to asks are you going to be doing the work or are you just the sales lady.
    I'm told him sometimes yes I will be here that I am the owner he says he doesn't like the idea cause I don't suit the type. It's not just him it happens all the time. I had a bid on the Best Buys in Jax and everything was going fine till I met the guy in charge. Same thing you don't fit the type. I just started sending one of my guys out to do the estimates. So I don't know sometimes.

Tina

10. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Sad but true. My son worked for an auto detail shop for a time. Shop was owned by a black guy. Several of the auto dealers would not deal with the owner, so he started sending my son to do the marketing. You may have to become the invisible woman and send a straw man to do any face-to-face meetings.