Watch out stealing gas!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Finger, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

I had gased up that morning (over $100 BUCKS) and I know put my gas cap BACK ON.

I'm cutting a property and I knoticed a blue pickup kept passing by. I wasn't worried because my equipment was locked down. But when I got back to my truck i knoticed that the gas cap was missing.

The customer whose yard I was cutting came out must have startled the theives. This was in the suburbs!!!!!:

Watch out for your gas. Get locking gas caps.:nono:

2. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

I think most vehicles are very difficult to siphon out of. I tried to siphon gas out of a my Dodge pickup, and out of a Dodge motor home (both vehicles were mine...I wasn't stealing). It was impossible. There must be a screen or something down there.

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Around here they drill a hole in the bottom of your tank. I'd like to see a spark from their battery powered drill , lite them up.

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i've heard about that happening here too.

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I read that in Dallas or Ft. Worth some guy figured out how to use a remote device to turn a gas pump on, after the place closed he came back and fired the pump up, then about 15 cars filled their tanks, loss was about 350 gallons....pretty smart!!!

6. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, and you are from WACO.. I mean psycho...:hammerhead::hammerhead:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have syphons for my own use as well, because I do transfer considerable amounts of fuel throughout the year... I would have to agree there is no way to syphon gas out of an automotive tank via the filler tube, neither of my cars nor my truck will allow it, the hose simply won't go far enough down there is something blocking it.

Someone else in another thread was saying it's a 'float' ball that helps prevent the fuel from leaking out in the case of a car flipping, either way whatever it is there is something fierce in the way of that hose.

But I still have a locking gas cap, probably always will, it's peace of mind.
    That way if my gas gauge wants to act funny which it likes to do, I know it's not that!

Drilling holes in the tank, someone is seriously disturbed there (and I ain't talking about the folks who mentioned it).
    Would love to get my hands on one of them boys, too bad I think they'd all run like punk, one would have to be FAST.
    Catch one thou, that would be a hoot.

8. HighlandLC

HighlandLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

They are steeling gas, diesel, anything they can get. I dont carry any spare fuel cans, hence no temptation.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I few years back, I had a '92 F-250 with duel tanks, the pump went out of the back tank, and I was able to siphon the gas out of it pretty easily.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

In recent years I've been able to siphon gas out of the 2 vehicles I tried it on. My Mustang (I had to change the tank) and a Mazda pickup.

Siphoning gas out of a vehicle is a matter of how long you're willing to wait. If a garden hose type of hose won't go down far enough then you need to get a smaller diameter hose.