Watch thoes carbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jul 30, 2002.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My Gravely Pro 40 w/b has a problem. The 12.5 hp kaw. has to be replaced. Gas went through the carb. into the crank case and destroyed the main bearing (caused from trailering). Cost very little to get parts (few $100) but labor will bring it to $450. Now I'm swaping a 14 hp kaw for a new 17 hp kaw. on one mower (GD Scamper) and putting the 14 hp kaw on my Pro 40. Oh ya, this Pro 40 is just a cheap back up mower, that is going to come to a total of $1600 after everything is done.
    Turn off those fuel lines, and watch thoes carbs.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

What were the symptoms you experienced that lead to finding this out? I am currently experiencing surge problems with my 17HP kawi on my Scag WB. Changed out plugs and all filters. No help. Rebuilt carb, no help. Replaced carb, still surging. Now dealer believes it is the cam. Did you have surging of the engine as a symptom?

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Have had a similar problem with my 12.5 kohler, the needle vavle gets stuck sometimes and fuel will leak into the piston making impossible to crack without pulling the plug and letting it drain out and then smokes like hell after that, so i turn the fuel off after every yard that i use it. The mower doesn't get used but about 4-5 times a week anyway.
  4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

It would be impossible to pull on occassion, when it would start it would run bad for a minute and blow out tons of white smoke mixed with oil and I guess gas. The re is something you can put in your carb. to prevent this, but I forget what it is called. I really realized the motor was shot, because I had it on the trailer for over a month (unused) and one day there was oil on the the trailer boards.