Watch your but when your getting into your truck!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rclay11541, Jan 16, 2005.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

Hey guys little story for yall,

Me and my crew are in a development cutting. Quite street, mid afternoon and nice out. Well they guys are working on this one lawn and i go to get something out of the truck. Im standing on the street between the driver's door facing the bench seat of my truck. The trailer is empty with the gate down. I lean across the seat to grab the clipboard or my cell cant remember which and i feel and hear a loud bang. I look back and a kid in a black toyota camry is DRIVING UP MY TRAILER! I couldn't belive my eyes! at the last second he swerves off the gate taking out the fender, beding the trailer axle and still sideswiping the rest of the trialer. He countinues sideswiping my truck seeing this i jump into the truck and he takes my driver side door off my truck! He doesn't stop until hes about 100 ft in front of my truck in the middle of the road.

By this point im laying of the floor of my truck covered in glass from the drivers window. To say the least i was a little upset!

Long story short he was doing 35 in a 20 not paying attention,,SO YOU BETTER!

2. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

post some pics!!!

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You better get a lawyer right now.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

....and sue, sue, sue......sue for equipment damages, lost wages due to the damage to the equipment, down time, employee pay, anything that you can think of that you lost $$$ of because of that, sue em good for it.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I doesn't sound like it was today...I doubt many guys are cutting grass in NJ in January.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I cut my grass on Friday..it was 68 here, and now it's 28 and icy w/ about 1.5" of mix on the ground..go figure..

About the accident, ...I hope you didn't settle from the other guy's insurance company without consulting a lawyer first. I hate the "sue for big bucks" mentality of this country anymore, but you are entiltiled to proper reimbursement for your damages, so collect it. Glad you weren't killed in the process...

7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

rclay, your profile mentions that you are 21 and have been in business for 13 years. Do you really advertise this to be true when someone ask about your years of experience? I guess the majority of us cut grass as a kid but I never thought about going back that far in terms of years in business.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree :rolleyes:

9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I still wanna know if they cut grass in NJ in January?

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure which story I doubt the most. The fact that you are only 21 but yet have been in "business" 13 years...or this one.

Having worked hundreds and hundreds of wrecks as a cop what you said happened is nearly impossible. First if he was running 35 MHP when he ran "up on your trailer ramp" he would not have had nearly enough reaction time to turn off of it at that point. Then lets assume he did though, so to turn off of it he would have had to have turned hard left which would have then put him going away from your truck and trailer and not into it..then all of that collision, hitting a trailer bending an axle, taking a truck door off and he still travelled another 100 feet down the road? Sounds like at most he would have hit the ramp and fender and bent the axle or just sideswiped the trailer and truck, but not what you described. But then if it was a single axle trailer that means it was a 3500# axle meaning a no heavy duty built gate so the gate should have bent as soon as a 3000# car drove up on it and put him directly into the rear of the trailer. But you can of course post pics and prove me wrong.