Water bans in Georgia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Things are getting ugly here in North GA. Some areas have not had measurable rain in over a month. Numerous counties in the Atlanta area have now imposed total outdoor water bans. Needless to say, being in the fertilization business is not the best position at the moment.

Cool season grasses cannot survive here without water, so our Fescues are under huge pressure.

Interesting that the state makes exclusions for water dependent businesses such as landscape installations, car washes, etc. Lawn applications should also be considered a water dependent business.

Last Summer we had record rainfall, so this year seems to be the opposite. Any words of wisdom from those who suffered through the dry conditions up North last year?

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

All I can tell you is hang on, and look out for chinch and grubs. We had a banner year last year fro chinch with the dry weather.

3. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

The drought sucks.. Other than the subdivisions I maintain, I haven't done much maintenance this year.

I have a couple of lawns that still look "fresh" and I haven't touched them them in close to a month. The weed/fert portion of my business is on hold.

Oh well...

4. DanielCo

DanielCo LawnSite Member

You think you have it tough guys.

Down here in Sydney, Australia we have only been able to water lawns and gardens with hand held hoses for 3-4 years now, and are currently down to only two days each week, wednesday and sunday.

We have not been able to use any type of sprinkler or irrigation for as long as I've been in the lawn app business.

We also recently came through one of our warmest, driest autumns on record, with maybe only a 1/2 inch rainfall where I live in a 3 month period.

Luckily, all warm season lawns. Things can only get better for us down here.