"Water Dowsers have an "Assn." - LOL

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mdvaden, Dec 9, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd never have imagined that water dowsers would have a website, let alone an association and a website for it.

http://www.dowsers.org/

I've only seen it attempted twice, at a golf course where 2 greenskeepers believed in it, and the other 5 didn't.

One guy trying it had said it always worked, but in a demonstration where I was present, said he could figure out why it does not seem to work when I'm around.

And it was a failed demonstration with about 8 people watching.

Anyway, these folks are out there, and apparently have slightly infiltrated the garden and landscape green industry.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a believer and have seen a guy locate water well drill sites with great success. He located a spot for me to drill a well on some land i owned. All the neighbors had either no well, or a very poor well.
    We drilled on the location he marked and hit good drinking water at 28'. My parents built a home there, and never once in 20 years did that well go dry. Everyone else in the neighborhood struggled with poor wells all during those years.
    So, I am a believer.
    He told me not everyone can do this, you have to, "have it in you", as he put it. He also said to use only a divining rod made from peach tree wood.

3. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Down here, even I can do it. :D Water table is only 5 feet down. ;)

4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I made some out of wire and used pvc pipe for the handle so it would move freely, they worked as far as moving and crossing each other, but I never drilled a well there, just was interested in seeing if it would work.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have used this method, with the wires, for locating buried pipes

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I used to work for a water company. I was the guy that located the water lines. I have used this technique and it does work for finding water mains. It will also find underground power lines.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My neighbor could do it very good. He located well sites for several towns people, including my house, when it was built in 1952. He traced the water feeds for my 18' dug well when I started clearing my lot in 1967. He used Willow wood. I wish I had got to know him better before he passed away, 35 years ago. He found a well site on his farm land and built his new house over it. The well is 6' deep below the celler floor and has an out flow running most of the year. He was a very interesting man.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Some oil well drillers were that way too. They could tell within 50' of when it would hit even before the first section of drill rod was driven.