water drainage problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

One of my clients has a small ditch in her back yard that is supposed to drain down through the neighbors' yards as well. Naturally, it doesn't work as it should and water ends up standing in her yard for quite a while. The back yard is lower than the front, so I don't think it could simply be drained to the street (approx. 50 yards). I'm not a landscaper or engineer, but the only thing I could think of was to get a small pump and pump it to the road and let it drain off there. I guess you could bury a small pipe from the pump if it needed to be more permanent.

Any other ideas?

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

if you can't easily run it back to the street, and there is no way to run it to some type of woods beyond the backyard, i would suggest a dry well.

a dry well for that situation would be to install a drain, run some piping to a specific area, then dig a decent sized hole there. after that, you have a couple options one could be by just back filling with limestone and gravel then burying it, and another would be to backfill it a little bit with limestone and gravel, then put in some type of large container with small holes at the bottom, and fill that with limestone gravel mix.

now, similar to what you said, you could install a drain, run some pipping that would be slightly exposed so you could attach a sump pump, and run it to the street.

it all depends on the amount of water involved, and if you have a good portable sump pump.

we just happen to have a sump pump we bought used, that will drain a pool overnight(about 8-12 hours). the pump was cheap, but the goodyear hose you attach to it is kinda pricey.

i hope this helps you some with your problem,