Water feature in the floor?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by desertrat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

A contractor friend has a customer that wants to build a water feature in the floor of the house. They want plants, and a stream that is in the floor, seen by glass. The glass portion of the floor is approz 6'x20'. I am getting this second hand, but basically I see a glass floor like a glass bottom boat that looks into a stream bed with running water and plants. My friend called me and asked for my advice. I don't see how this can work, and although a big challenge, I would limit total liability in writting. There is basically no way to fix leaks, replace plants or do anything without removing this huge peice of glass. The pump would be outside the house foundation, but still. If the plants live, how do you care for them?. If, after you do everything right, how do you fix a leak? I told her to come here for advice, but I am here asking, is this possible? Oh, we are in Arizona, no basements, or real crawl spaces, just dirt and the foundation.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sure just do it without the glass

3. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Yeah right :)

There is now way to do it right, so dont.... The plants WILL need attention overtime... the will overgrow if nothing else. As for not being able to fix leaks... easy build it right the first time...

Seriosly though... with the amount of condensation that will build up with his house lights heating the humid air of this glass enclosed monstrosity, in about 2 months he'll be staring at nothing becuase a layer of slime will turn the underside of the glass black.

You have to make it A- Accessible
    B- Ventilated

4. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

Yea, that's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for the input.

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

Make short sections on the glass and screw them in, So they can be removed for cleaing,
    I would only use the glass for the stream part and have no plants in the stream. if plants are a must in the stream they can be trimmed during the glass cleaning.
    I would leave the actual pond are open to ventiale the pond and feed fish, tend to plants, etc.
    Install a bottom drain, you wont have to worry about a skimmer since you wont have a whole lot of wind with falling leaves....:)
    either be real confident in your concrete work or use a liner for the stream and pond area.
    What kind of flooring will be going in? please dont say hardwood floors...:)
    will there be just a stream or some sort of waterfall leading into the stream?

I have some ideas if you are interested.