Water filled fan contraptions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Aug 14, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen some people with these things that look like a water bottle with a battery powered fan on top to blow a cool mist of water.

If I could find one of these, then mount it on the mower - instant AC, well almost.

It might also fit into those worthless cup holders soo many mowers have.;)

2. The_Outlaw

The_Outlaw LawnSite Member

Sharper Image has something that you're supposed to wear around your neck ( I think they call it a personal cooling system).
    I haven't tried one yet, but people I know that have say it works.
    You might want to check out their web site http://www.sharperimage.com

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have the sharper image cooler for the neck. it works pretty good.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I just saw the sharper image one on TV infomercial thing the other night. Thay wanted 4 payments of $19.98 for it. Looked nice untill I saw that. Online its only 49.95 still seems like a lot.

5. AltaLawnCare

That thing looks alright, but a littlt pricey. Besides, I hate to have to wear anything like that.
    The water bottle fan thing looked like a round a twenty dollar unit.

6. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Banned

imagine how funny you'll look after a couple of weeks with a nice amber tan on you face and neck, but with a bright white stipe where the cooling device was.
    It might work good, but imagine how dumb you'll look
    LOL!!! ha ha

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

In our shop at the airport we have a PortaCool set up......Its about a 5' x 5' fan that has a big paper like radiator on the back that water gets pumped through and cools the air.

To be honest, unless you close all the doors and give it lots of time, it doesn't do a whole lot. Unless you stand directly in front of it (like 2 inches away), it does not come close to AC.

So, to be honest, if a 5'x 5' fan doesn't do much, what on earth our those little rinky things gonna do.

steveair

8. AltaLawnCare

Area.

One of those small personal cooling devices, either around your neck, or with a fan blowing a mist of water - every now and then- about a foot away from you would be better than nothing.

Cooling a room (large or small) has to be done by cold air - not evaporation cooling.

apples, and oranges......

:cool:

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't stand the heat, get outta the kitchen! Be careful on the dangerous heat index days, otherwise, get used to it. It's summer for gods sake!

10. AltaLawnCare

Why work and be uncomfortable, when you could use one of these things to be safer and more productive.

Thats like saying don't run the AC in your home or car - it's summer, get used to it.

I grew up without AC, it wasn't until I was in my 20s that I got a car with AC.
    By the time my parents put in AC in their home, I had already moved out.
    --- I'm pretty much used to it.