1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water for newly seeded lawn...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What is the ideal amount of water that a newly seeded lawn needs? Especially at this time of year... Once a day enough? Twice... once in the morning and once in the evening.... until germination?

Thanks in advance...
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

2 times per day would be my suggestion,3 if possible at this time of year.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't water late in the evening. I tell customers not to go past about 4 pm. The seed needs to take in the water and basically dry again. Letting seed lay moist all night long leads to rotting and can eventually lead to fungal problems.

Twice a day is good, depends on how hot it gets. You may need three times. The again, it may be once. The customer needs to be made clear that it's an ongoing job to monitor and water properly. It changes every day with the ever changing weather. Cooler nights will change the water amount along with day temperatures and cloud cover, etc. The customer always looks for the one simple answer and likes to never change the water amounts and times. They piss and moan about the lawn development yet never want to adapt to the changing conditions. I'm really changing my tune on seed work and making extremely clear that it is an ongoing task that needs their attention and that we will not be responsible for their lack of commitment to watering. I've done my share of repairs for free and have pretty much put an end to it. It's just too easy for them to pass blame to the contractor.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

2 times per day for at least 20 to 30 min.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If they have irrigation I go 4 times per day now for 12 min each time and then cut it back to twice a day 25 min. each time after germination. If they don't have irrigation and don't want to pay for it I tell them it needs to be kept damp. This keeps me from alot of repairs becouse no one yet has kept it damp all the time.

6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that Randy, I did a bit of apologizing and gave free over-seeds before I realized the difference between success and failure (once i leave) was in thier hands and therefore was their responsibility.