Water from fire hydrant??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pryker, May 23, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

When I was younger (much younger) I worked for a pest control company in South Florida. I worked in outside lawn spray and we would fertilize, and spray for lawn pests as well as fleas and ticks.

We had what I believe was a 500 gal truck with a pump on back. In between sprayings I would fill up at a fire hydrant. Anyone I wanted, just had to find one. We had a water meter on the side of the truck and had to go to the water company to get it read once a month or so... We carried around a permit that made it legal. Just used a wrench to undo the hydrant, filled the truck and then poured in the appropriate amount of chemical.

I do not see that practice done anymore, do people still use this method? Is it still legal? I am just curious as I was looking into a busness (not chemical related) that would require water while on the road.

I cannot tell you how many times a cop would stop to ask me what I thought I was doing. Turns out few of them knew it could be done so I would always have to explain it to them.

Anyone?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its funny how they enforce the law, and dont even know them, yet have the arrogance to say ignorance of the law is no exepption. But, I didnt know this was legal either.

3. BobInMN

BobInMN LawnSite Member

I do some inspection work for asphalt paving companies here in MN. I know that if they want to get water from a hydrant for their rollers they are suppose to have the city put a meter on the hydrant when they are in the area. Most of the time they don't though. If they get caught they will be fined.

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I do my tank filling on site. Most of the commercial properties have a fill/ blowout fitting. In my area you would be in big trouble filling a pesticide tank from a hydrant. Its drinking water you know. All the construction companies fill their tank trucks from the hydrants though.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

id be careful, some hydrants around here are attached to alarms in neighboring buildings.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

It is still done in southwest, fl

Most of the guys fill at their home or shop for the large tanks and at a clients for small ones.

Those with wells fill at their place as it is free except for the piump and such.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We used to be able to rent an in line meter from the water co., and fill at any low pressure(yellow) hydrant. You would then take the meter to be read once a month, and pay the bill, plus a small meter fee of $ 6.00 a month. They have since done away with this practice, and if you need bulk H2O now, you have to go to the main water plant in town and fill up there.I guess there were too many people abusing the system, and not properly closing the hydrants..

8. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

As I suspected depends on where you live. I will call the water co in the AM. The company I worked for had some "non-functional" water meters on their trucks, never got them fixed... I could understand why the water company frowns on this practice.

As far as setting off alarms are concerned I never had that happen. Yellow hydrants should have no effect on that.

Thanks