Water hammer damage (photos, please)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

just thought these were cool

shock-signatures.gif

all-waves-fast-2.gif

water-hammer-valve.jpg

water-hammer-12.jpg

1110912840_small.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting stuff, there. I wonder what difference is seen in poly pipe versus PVC pipe in the zone plumbing, when it comes to that startup banging.

3. Very interesting stuff Jim. where did you find all that?

If it's from surge into empty pipes in the laterals I can't see that poly would make that much difference on the banging. Never used or studied poly so just a guess.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen this site before, but you really should link the source if you are going to attach the images instead of linking to them directly.

http://www.liquid-dynamics.com/

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Does the rumbling happen all the time the zone(s) is/are open? Or just when it opens? I've heard this rumbling with high water pressure when the valve first opens. Kinda like the valve diaphragm is farting (bouncing open/shut) .... bbrrraappp bbrrappp brrap! I am thinking that the high water pressure is "fighting" the solenoid. Shakes the copper lines that are not secured. Would a very large expansion tank help in this situation?

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Throttle down the zone valves for a start

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think this is due to high water pressure as I have seen this occur (diaphragm slapping) with low water pressure (~ 50 PSI) as well.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

poly, poly, poly, badgerbadgerbadgerbadger

middle of the night search pete, i don't sleep more than a few hours straight.

doggone man, just last year i could barely type and mitchell was going to stomp a mudhole in the middle of me for my lack of sentence structure. i'll try harder, structure is still lacking too.

no one noticed the clown...............................:hammerhead:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No worries here .... just trying to keep you from getting slammed by someone for jacking their content without proper referencing. Actually, it is better to do what you did than link the pic directly (which I do and shouldn't) because that amounts to stealing bandwidth.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I did not know that, thanks Sonny.