Water hammer help, please!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 25, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We always zone for 11-13 gpm on a one inch line with one inch meter, backflow, and 1" valves. Customers are experiencing some water hammer. I thought by allowing the low flow rates that water hammer would not be an issue. Please advise "irrigation gurus" as I am at a loss for the solution.

John:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What pressures? What valves? Some can hammer more than others.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

the pipes are making noise when the zones are shutting down are starting up?

4. jcom

We are using Hunter PGV valves and pressures of 60- 70 psi. One customer is experiencing a lot of pipe noise when the system is running. Another on valve opening.

Thanks for the help,

John

5. Water valve to meter not on all the way?
    House main valve not on all the way?
    Pressure regulator set low?
    Pressure regulator failing?
    Thin walls? ;)

6. Flow Control

I am not sure if the water meters are in a pit of the house where you are at. But if they are in the house you may want to check to see if the meter is the problem by removing it and just place a peace of threaded pipe in its place to see if the system is making the same noise without the meter. We have found that if there is noisey pipes when a zone is starting up then a dual check on the house line after your tee will 95% of the time solve this problem. With other less effective solutions being shock arrestors and pressure tanks. Just my two cents.

7. jcom

Thanks for the info. I suspect the meter shutoff or the meter itself where the owners' pipe are really vibrating while running.

We will wait and see on the other. Our Hunter valves are soft closing so just don't see the problem on our end.

John:cry:

8. Flow Control

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Modern automatic valves are slow closing for this very reason. Nothing like slamming a water supply shut quickly to get the juices flowing.:)