Water hammer question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AI Inc, May 18, 2008.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

How come when a customer has had a system working fine for yr. If the pressure tank on the houses boiler is replaced it always seems to create water hammer when the system starts.
    I had 1 call like this last week and another for this tuesday .

Last 1 I changed the wires so drip would come on first instead of last reducing water demand and speed.
    Next weeks dosnt have any drip and I may need to nozzle down the #1 zone.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Could it have caused an air pocket or something?

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Not realy sure but I have seen this about 25 times in the last 10 yrs.

4. They sell hammer arrestors at HD. Never had to use one but have recommended to people to try out.

5. Valveman

Valveman LawnSite Member

The new pressure tank probably has too much air charge.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive tried these in the past with no success.

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Find the preload pressure of tank, then drain and check to make sure it's 2PSI
    under cut-in.

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doubting that, if it is a hot water heating system. They operate on a closed system with reduced pressure via a PRV typically set to 12 psi (sometimes slightly higher if it is a 2 or 3 story residence).

Now if it is on a hot water HEATER (domestic hot water) then the pressure tank will be a higher psi and usually matches your house water pressure. However the domestic water shouldn't be higher than 80 psi. Any more and things like toilet fill valves can blow out.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Second call was the same. Guy replaced the pressure tank on the domestic over the winter.I turned down the ball valve on the backflow and set a delay between zones. See if that does it.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is there any check valve downstream of the POC? I could see a benefit to having one.