Water hammer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rainsofthouston, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

So, as the neighbors are sucking the supply down and causing the hammer, it is not the sprinkler system's fault?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think a curbside meter feeding an oversized system could drop street pressure at startup, or maybe it is subject to banging valves, if the design is really bad.

I think the neighbor with new pipe noises has to suck it up and make sure they are 'insulated' from sudden pressure drops in the street. Expense would be on their dime.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen this problem several times, usually when there are two meters in the same pit. The sprinkler system is trying to flow more water than the supply will allow. The meter is going crazy and vibrating, causing the noise even to the neighbor. I've had some luck turning the ball valve down about half, it doesn't seem to effect the system.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I see shared meter taps never.

5. irritation

Was fairly common 25-30 years ago but most have been done away with.

6. Mike Leary

The expense could be on the install contractor who overzoned the system.

7. irritation

It may not be "overzoned" but when it drains down, the flow to refill the pipes causes the hammer.

8. Mike Leary

If there was any slope, that could have happened without SAMs. Also Dana's favorite "auto-drains" could have done the same thing. If you were the next door neighbor, and woke up hearing that hammer, what would you do?

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Never said they we my favorite. I said we use them on mains and manifolds where necessary, not laterals.

10. Mike Leary

What, no sense of humor now that I'm released from the mental hospital? :dizzy: