Water Hammers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Send Jess Stryker an e-mail Kiril and tell him your one formula theories.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That would be her .... and those "theories" you so like to avoid have been empirically proven many times over ... and govern the very industry and products we all work with. But none of that matters to you ..... does it?

3. Well correct HER....... I'm not avoiding theories. I know a valve has two stages. The initial closing and the final slam shut. Are you claiming valves shut in one continuous motion?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhhh ... now you are putting words in my mouth ..... nice. :clapping:

P = 0.070VL / t + Pi

How does valve closing speed effect ...

1) Pressure
    2) Flow

5. Inspired

Inspired LawnSite Senior Member

P x S to the tenth power = F

6. One can appear smart without really being smart Kiril. If one keeps their design under 5fps and doesn't through poor installation methods cause situations when the flow can be much higher then water hammers won't be an issue.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

And you still avoid the simple equation that shows how wrong you are about valve closing/opening speeds. :dizzy:
    But of course ... your experience negates the laws of physics ..... right?

8. Send Jess Stryker an e-mail and tell her that she is full of poppycock and that valve closings are one long smooth continuous event. I don't care about the first 80%. I only care about the final 20% which is what causes the problems.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

1) I never said Jess was full of shiit.
    2) I also never said valves (solenoid) close in one smooth continuous event

Why exactly do you feel the need to put words in my mouth Pete?

10. Then what installation methods do you believe exist to minimize the final 20% closing shock or do you believe any exist?

Can an irrigation system designed to not exceed 5fps because of installation methods create a situation in which it would exceed 5fps on opening?