1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water Hammers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Oct 19, 2010.

1. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

Jess is the ugliest darn "her" I ever saw! :)

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you need to do anything special at this point? The potential for really destructive water hammer has already been eliminated by the 80% reduction. The rest of the system is built to withstand the remaining hammer potential.

Yes .... and what does this have to do with a closing solenoid valve? Your copy and paste doesn't address valve opening ..... and why is that? Because in dinky pipe systems, probably 99% of water hammer problems are caused by closing valves.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yup .... you are correct .... my bad. I saw a pic of his wife on the irrigation site years ago and assumed it was Jess.
  4. Problems can occur on either opening or closing. Best just to do whatever you can to keep air out of the lines and make sure air doesn't get on the lateral side of the valve by making the valve the high point in the zone.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My cost for a griswold brass valves are DWS75 = $73, DWS100 = $82, DWS125 = $99, DWS150 = $124, DWS200 = $144

Why exactly are you pulling B.S. prices out of your ass Pete?

First you say low point ..... now high point .... I can't keep track. :dizzy:

So the question remains .... what exactly did you do to keep air out of the lines before sprinklers with check valves became available?

How do you handle low volume irrigation when not using a product like Netafim Techline CV?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  6. I already told you go back and read. It is better to have the air collect at a high point near a head than at the valve. If air is the first thing flushed from the system that is ideal. If air is trapped behind water then not so ideal.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

DWS valves are for pikers. We want the 2000 series. payup
  8. Especially since the 2000 series is the one they push for water hammer issues.

Screw it. It's a beautiful day. The Rangers are up 3-1 Game starts at 2pm I'm heading out for exercise and fresh air.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the Crankees will rise again!!
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You are avoiding the questions.