water holding tank for flowers/ lawn. pic included

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grass disaster, May 21, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have an oppertunity to buy this stainless tank for probably about $50 it's the 350-400 gallon tank. i was think about putting it in back of my house and filling it with rain water from down spouts from the house. i have a spot in the back of the garage where it wouldn't be very noticable.

i live in town and cost of water is not a big issue for me but the flowers and hedges around the house don't seem to like the city water very much.

is this just a bad idea? is this a whole lot of work for nothing??

tank.jpg

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Even if it turns into a whole lot of work for nothing you'll still learn something. How often would it get filled and how fast would it be used up. A zone using 12gpm would empty that in 30 minutes of watering. Mad Estonian is a little more knowledgeable on rain water harvesting and he may post a better answer.

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i don't think i was going to have it plumbed in. maybe just tap a hose on the bottom of the tank for now. not sure how much pressure i would have though.

it would get filled as often as it would rain.

4. Remote Pigtails

If you can get it 6' or so above the ground and have a hose tapped in plus get the downspouts to dump straight into it. You still have to be able to clean out the junk that gets in and keep it from becoming a mosquito nest. If you do a search on rainwater harvesting you will probably get sent to a site in the Texas A&M extension dept. Rainwater harvesting is really big in Central TX. I'm going to post a photo of a rw harvesting house I maintain after I see it tomorrow.

5. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Mad Estonian is a little more knowledgeable on rain water harvesting and he may post a better answer.

I am? Damn, now I have to pretend like I know something. I'm waiting for this book to come out, I really like this guy Art Ludwig http://www.oasisdesign.net/water/rainharvesting/book/index.htm. I've read a little, but haven't installed anything yet, a few customers have rain barrels I usually just empty with a bucket. I know I'd snap that up for $50, why not do it? Like RP says, some elevation would be good if you can manage it, and his other recommendations are good too. Even here, where our municipal water is excellent quality, I've noticed the plants really perk up after a good rain, they obviously prefer the chemistry of rain water. I bet you'll feel good doing it, so long as you don't let it turn into a festering, stagnant, mosquito-breeding slough (but I know you won't).:) Of course, if you want to drink your harvested rain water, that's a whole 'nother story...

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hell I would fill it with water and put a fire under it to make a hot tub for one outa that thing.
    You should be able to accomplish your goal buy elevating and covering it like
    Pig Tails said.

7. Remote Pigtails

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Every foot of elevation would give you .43 PSI.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just saw a cool project on the DIY or one of those garden shows. They used one of the blue plastic barrels and painted it into a form of "backyard art" (handpainted by the kids). He built a nice heavy stand using treated 4x4 legs and cross braced them. He then built a reinforced top to set the barrel up on. He did a spigot on the side (at the bottom) for a hose to hook up. He used a screen over the top to keep the debris out. An occasional donut would keep the mosquitos and stuff out if needed. I may have to do this, because I have an inside corner on my house that I am having some difficulty with draining routes. I have a short piece coming down near my breezeway entrance (between the house and garage) but I have water coming in my basement because the ground is so saturated. I can't run my gutter out toward the front, because of the way the peak is, and down lower, I have my front porch steps that stick out. I don't really want to run it down into a french drain, because I would still be having to go under my porch steps and/or sidewalk. I have a little nook of wasted space in the front here, and I just thought this rainbarrel idea would be kind of cool, since I have plenty of flowerbeds around the front and nearby that I could use it on. I thought maybe I would cover mine with vine of some sort like with a trellace.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just fill it with ice and throw in some Lawn Genie Beers and Otter Pops!