water hookup for cleaning under deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pennyan, Jun 2, 2007.

1. pennyan

pennyan LawnSite Member
    from west NJ

What do you all think of a water hose connection hookup
    on the deck.Connect the water ingage the blades no more
    scraping hard crusted grass.The question will the water distroy
    the spindle bearings?

2. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

It might work but I always just lift the deck and use a car was handle that I obtained from a local car was owner that had been ran over and adapted it to my lawn hose and it works quite well.

I have a scraper with a piece of broom handle I put in it to have extra reach for the old back up Murry rider.

I always scrape then wash.

3. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

I agree, i think you still have to scrape then wash. it seems to me that i have a hard time getting everyting off when i just wash the deck off.

4. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

I very occasionally use my gasoline power washer on the mower deck, under the hood, etc. Pain in the butt, really, but does an outstanding job. I'd like to rig-up some kind of hoist that would stand the mower vertically to make the job easier. Would be easer getting the blades off and back on, too.

5. chris_poyner

chris_poyner LawnSite Member

i was looking at some self propelled honda push mowers that has a connector to connect a garden hose to. looked pretty interesting but as stated above, i'd be worried about the spindle bearings.

6. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

Wonder what would happen after we cleaned our decks out and we sprayed them with some sort of non stick spray.

I can remember when my grandfather was alive he alway cleaned the mower decks out and used old motor oil and a paint brush to coat the deck.

I know the EPA would freak but what else could we use?

Has to be something to use to help the grass from sticking to the decks.

Damon
    N.E. Texas

7. chris_poyner

chris_poyner LawnSite Member

alot of people use fluid film, i have yet to use it. i just use silicone tire spray but it wears off rather quickly.

8. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Give FluidFilm a shot. It really works well. Right now they are giving away FREE sample cans of the aerosol. Just check the FluidFilm link at the top of the forum and register. They sent mine in 3 days.
    We use it on everything that moves and on under bellies of our decks. NO BUILDUP! And lasts a pretty long time.

9. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

I bought a can of the stuff a year ago, but can't find it. I wonder if they will send me a can up here in Canada? I don't know what the stuff costs down there, but at our Canada Tire stores up here, a can will set you back $14.

I'd gladly pay 3 times that amount for something that would help alleviate the grass buildup problem on the underside of mower decks. Anyway, I'm going to try the stuff. You guys all seem to swear by FluidFilm.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The new cub cadet tank ztr's have a few quick couplers on top of the deck so you can do this.