Water in diesel engine

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by ToroMaster, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

I have a Kubota L3710, last week I took it for a bath in a drainage ditch. The engine got a little water in it but nothing much. When I winched it out it only took about 20 seconds for it to fire up again. I changed the oil three times. Each time I let the engine run about five minutes. The problem is that there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and a loss of power. I think its the injectors or timing. Any knowledge, please share.

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Check to see if ther'e is water in the fuel tank and filter. That white smoke should have burnt off fairly fast if all the water was gone.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You've probibly got water in the fuel system. You'll probibly have to drain the fuel tank and all the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter to get all the water out.

4. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

I drained the tank and changes both fuel and oil filters. Is there anyway that the water could of ruined the fuel injectors? White smoke means there is not enough fuel to combust. The loss of power is also a result of low fuel. Thanks

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just try running it for a long time and maybe the white smoke will stop. I don't think the water would have ruined the fuel injectors.

6. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree with Travis by draining all the fuel in tank and lines you should have fixed the problem keep running it and ad diesel conditioner to the fuel system, you should notice a diff in a couple of hrs.