Water in engine oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 2, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I went to check the oil on my dethatcher yesterday and in the dipstick tube it appears to be "milky" looking and more white than clear. I think this is from water in the oil. Even though the mower is stored inside and was washed. I just changed the oil a few weeks ago and it was fine. How would the water get there (condensation)? And how do I get the moisture out (will another oil change get it) ?

2. BLAZERBRUCE

BLAZERBRUCE LawnSite Member

SoloSulkySurfer,

I worked on a engine once that was overfilled with twice the oil and also had water contamination. Drained the the oil, did 2 back to back oil changes running the engine for about 15 minutes between and it was running like a champ. Apperently Kawasaki builds a strong engine :laugh: .

~Bruce

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Start the engine and let it warm up to running temp, That will burn what little condensation that's in it out. We have the same problem with new units that are driven to the front of the business daily, They don't run long enough to get to running temp thus condensation builds. We run them up to temp to burn it out once a week, That does the trick.