Water in fuel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daily Lawn/Landscape, May 12, 2008.

1. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone else had a problem with water in the fuel this spring. Had to take the fuel bowl off my second mower today to find more water in it. I have heard of other in my area having the same problem. And what gets me is I buy fuel from different stations so it is not just coming from one place.

2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Prepare for it to become more common. The Ethanol in the gasoline will pull the water in.

3. badluck

badluck LawnSite Member

not only is it poor fuel for our small engines, it is going to help us starve if we cannot make enough money for the sharp increase in food prices in grocery stores.

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i can tell you from the dealer level, half the equipment we work on in a day has water in the fuel.

The problem is it's not just that you get water in the fuel and it don't run, but the ethynol will disolve aluminum as it is. Add water for oxidation and it's a mess. People don't seem to understand that the manufacturer didn't put the bad fuel in your machine, so quit blaming it.

Don't leave your gas cans outside. Don't leave them uncapped. Dont' store them in moist areas where there can be alot of condensation.

Had a guy come in the other day with a backpack blower that the carb as junk on. All deteriorated on the inside. He was all pissed off about it. I helped him bring it out to his truck and there were 3 fuel cans on the trailor, pointed toward the front of the truck with no caps....... I pointed them out to him and told him to get new cans but he didn't seem to care. It will be like deju vu in a couple weeks with something else i'm sure.:nono:

5. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

We had a local station giving out 40% water/gas mixture because the ethonol process was royally screwed up at the plant. Had a couple people with brand new cars that were totally shot. This of course was not under warranty.

That ethonol crap isn't worth it. It gets worse mileage and will wreck stuff. And that is coming from a born and raised Iowan!!