1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water In Gas Stopped Gas to Carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Dec 7, 2006.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walker with a 20 hp Kohler which ran out of gas. I tried to start it back after refueling, but with no luck. I rolled it into shop and checked the gas filter and it had some water in it. Of course I drained it and blew it out. I checked plugs and they were dry (no gas or water, thought I might have flooded it). I then checked carburetor and it didn't have any fuel in the bowl. The fuel pump didn't seem to be getting fuel through it. Does water cover up some filter or screen in the fuel pump restricting fuel flow? What is easiest way to fix? Thanks for suggestions.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

since water is heavier than gas and water can have large particals in it like dirt and sludge then yes it will clog a filter very quick. If theres a strainer in the tank it can plug it too. If it's just clean water your fuel pump will pump it like fuel right to the carb where it sets and keeps the fuel from being picked up. You'll have to dismantle and clean everything.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray some gum cutter into air filter and add some of it to the gas as well and run the mower. The Gum Cutter will help clean out water and debris. I've been using it for 5 years and all my machines run strong and are easier to start up.
  4. mcambrose

I had opened up carburetor and removed the few drops of water, but there wasn't any fuel in the carburetor making me believe tha the fuel pump was somehow stopped up. My primary question was how to clean the fuel pump. Can it be backflushed or something?

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

pumping fresh fuel through it for a few seconds will do it. It only takes a few drops of water to keep the fuel from being picked up in the carb. The water came from some place so you need to flush or clean out evrything having to do with fuel storage and transfer of fuel on the mower. Might check your fuel cans too.
  6. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

Install a NEW fuel filter. Blowing it out doesn't cut it. Also always put some dry gas in your fuel. All summer. It will help to remove the moisture when your guys leave the gas tanks out in the rain storm and then fill the machines. We change fuel filters twice a year.
  7. mcambrose

Thanks for the note about changing the filter. I thought it might be required.