1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water in tires for traction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BUSHMASTER, Sep 20, 2000.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I know that most all have heard that folks filled a mix of water and antifreeze in tractor tires for traction before i go out and buy the $20. kit to do this ....has anyone tried this on their drive tires on ya'lls mowers? how did it do?
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

My Ride-On spreader came from the factory that way.

The idea was to lower the center of gravity.

You don't leave yourself with a lot of variation in air pressure.

I wouldn't do it. I'd foam-rubber fill them. Accomplishes the same thing and guarentees against flats.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I foam filled the front tired of my Kubota. Made the tires weigh 75 lbs each. What a work out with no power steering. All that weight led to the cracking of the rims. Had to have them welded. Now that the tired are smoothing out, I can't waite to chainsaw those tires off the rims. And just go back to using slime
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Water in your tires? I would be afraid of the rims rusting, even with the anti-freeze.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

On our orchard tractor, we have what my dad calls "calcium" in our tires. It's a white foamy liquid that foams everywhere when you get a flat. The tires are pretty heavy, around 75 pounds. It's cool after you get the flat fixed and there's calcium in it, you can hear it sloshing around in the tire.:)
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Putting water in ztr tyres probably won't make too much
    difference,as they are only small tyres.

Bob, Before you put water in your tyres you should put a tube in first. Tubeless tyres on mowers and tractors are a waste of time. The rims take too much punishment to remain

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I asked my Exmark dealer about foaming my tires on my Laser. He said that I should NOT do it, do to the fact that the tires give some as they go over rough terrain!! Tire foam is at a set pressure and has no give.
  8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I half agree with him. We do not have any REAR tires on Lazer/Z-Masters foam filled for that very reason.
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

We seem to have gone from a water in the tires topic to a foam in the tires topic. So here's my foam in-put, Grasshoppers with front style decks, have foam filled deck tires from the factory.
  10. zcases

zcases LawnSite Member

Bushmaster - you mentioned a $20 calcium kit. Where'd you see that? Also - I have been searching for some old posts about adding RV antifreeze to tires but can't find them now. I want to try it too. They talked about removing the valve stem and pumping it in somehow. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult - I will let you know if I get a chance to try it in the next few days...........