water in valvebox a problem?...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Raymond S., Jun 20, 2006.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

This may be a stupid question. Anyhow, I have a couple of valveboxes that are on inclines. When it rains, the water runs down the trenches(filled in w/ dirt, seeded, but still a good place for water to run when it rains hard)and right overtop of the valvebox cover. In turn, the valvebox fills w/ water. I went out yesterday and the entire box was full of water, engulfing the entire valve and electrical. I would assume all of this is watertight(I used the grease electrical connectors) and it shouldn't be an issue. W/ the water running in the hole comes a little bit of dirt as well, so at the end of a hard rain everything is covered w/ a thin bit of dirt after it all dries up. Is this a problem? For the time being I covered the hole where you put your finger to lift it off w/ duct tape to help shed the water. Is this necessary and if it is a problem to they have different covers w/out holes?...thanks in advance

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I for one would like to have watertight valve boxes, but unfortunately haven’t come across one. If the water is just flowing over the top, you might help matters by using a valve box extension. Unfortunately, a lot of muddy valve boxes are a result of subsurface water filtering in from the bottom or from the openings on the side.

I’ve seen a lot of valve boxes full of water, but where everything would seem to work. Electrically you could run into problems. The grease filled wire nuts help, but submerging 24 volt wires into water along with a ground wire and there’s always that chance that the controller will toss up his or her arms and say, “Something just ain’t right here, so I’m going on strike!”

Check into an extension for the box, and of course you could always dig out the area below the box and install some gravel or drain material.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is a quite common occurance since it's not practical to locate valves outside of the irrigated areas. As long as the electrical connections are made with some sort of watertight connector all is fine. :waving:

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. It's very sandy soil so the water doesn't stay around for long after it gets done raining. I just wanted to hear someone else say it was alright...:)