Water Infiltration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Nov 29, 2013.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

She lists the main factors influencing infiltration as sand, loam (rather than silt), and clay. Do you think this is an intentional simplification/dumbing down? Axe later refers to these same 3 from his high school ag classes. Do various parts of the country and world use another model vs the traditional soil triangle?

I find that people describe or specify loam as though it is a specific material rather than a term encompassing a range of combinations of sand, silt, and clay. Always reminds me of someone who would order 'the fish' in a restaurant, ignoring that the choices are perch, salmon, and sea bass. The fish stew would contain, within constraints, some of each of the 3 fish.

Overall I think that extension piece is a good quick overview on things that influence water infiltration but am unclear on her intent.

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

More annoying than helpful or stimulating, eh? Quoting oneself as, ironically, I am about to do exudes self-righteousness. Nonetheless, I have sometimes felt the same way you do.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So everyone came into this thread to disrupt the conversation and are babbling about other articles, passing judgment on me and not once addressing a single sentence in the article I presented,,, in my thread... thanks for nothing...

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No, we clearly are not. Take your own advice, note the definition which clearly states a colloid MAY be a molecular aggregate, not IS one as you have incorrectly stated.

Further, please understand what in solution and precipitate means before you use the terms, particularly since you have used them incorrectly here. A suspended solid is not in solution nor does it precipitate out of solution, it settles.

And finally, more education is again in order.

http://www.css.cornell.edu/courses/260/Soil Colloid 2.pdf

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and no. Generally speaking, infiltration rate is directly proportional to particle size.

There are different classification systems, how many different ones I wouldn't know off hand. Here is some discussion on it. I did not read it so I don't know if it is all inclusive.

http://cals.arizona.edu/OALS/soils/classifsystems.html

Yes, incorrect region specific uses of the word loam, and it doesn't stop there.

A very general illustration of principles without getting too technical about the subject. Think of it like conceptual soil science for idiots.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The use of 'colloid' came from tcw, not my article... going on forever fine tuning the definition of the colloid is stupid when the discussion is about aggregates or peds... You are irrelevant to the discussion at hand and only wish to make an argument on something as trivial as colloid... any little reason to blow hard,,, right??? As with foreplease now... what a lame joke... majoring in the minors and never getting it clear why round things act differently than flat things and getting some college kid to believe that foolishness...

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It is? You better let yourself know then.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. grassclippers

grassclippers LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link,good info!