water leaks from head

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ashs inc, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

hey guys love the forum and have learned so much from yall. I have a client and in their yard the sprinkler head at the lowest point leaks after the zone turns off. I am guessing that all the water that is passed the valve has got to go some where after it cycles to the next zone. is there any way or a head that keeps this from happening? Thanks guys. Oh by the way it is a PGM hunter rotor.
  2. Fatheroftwo

Fatheroftwo LawnSite Member

:waving: You can change the head to an anti-leaking head which will usually hold back up to a 10 ft head of water or put a pressure release drain at the end of the line after the head. Just food for thought.
  3. sps2868

sps2868 LawnSite Member
    from ATL, GA

you could put a DCV in the bottom of the PGM... :cool2:
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter makes a check valve you can screw under the head that will stop the drainage problem.
  5. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

model HCV 1/2". Will help but not a guaranteed solve all
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

As others have stated the installation of a check valve on this sprinkler might work. If this is a sloped area, problem is that you might correct this sprinkler's weeping and transfer the problem to another sprinkler as water always seeks its avenue of least resistance and will gravity feed to the next lowest sprinkler head. You might have to install additional check vales on the other zone sprinklers. When designing systems with sloped areas I always spec out drainage check valves. Depending on the size of the zone just one "weeping sprinkler" could cause a muddy area or safety problem on hardscape.

If the weeping persists another problem might be indicated: the valve's diaphram might be weak/torn and allowing seepage which always shows up on the closest/lowest sprinkler of the zone.

7. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

thanks for the help guys. I do mostly maintenance and a little sprinkler maintenance fixing heads adjusting. This head is making a wet muddy spot in the grass. not too big but just big enough to bug me and the home owner. I will try the check valve. Thanks will let you know how it works!