Water Loss?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Conserveit, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Conserveit

Conserveit LawnSite Member

Seeking technical information on water loss calculations based on broken 1" sprinkler heads. System is 2" into 1"
    - Loss per min/hour measured in gallons.

Same thing for an 1/2 system.

Thanks,

Matt-
    Watersav

gilbertranch1.jpg

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

whats a 1" sprinkler head?

3. Conserveit

By 1" -I meant products like I/25 and I/31 from hunter. Sorry I should have been more specific.

Really if you want to get technical It really doesnt matter what size head is installed, I am looking for info on how much water is lost on a 1" line broken at the sprinkler head location. The infrastructure is made of an 2" main for the feed of an1" zone.

4. Conserveit

Or the I-90 or I-60

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Thats all relative to the GPM available to the system itself.

6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

You have a widew open line. Your loss is actuall volume system is producing.

If your point of connection is at a certain gpm, that is what you are wasting

7. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

flow is a function of pressure and friction. the more the pressure the more the flow. i suggest attaching the broken head directly to a flow meter as close as you can get it with a pressure regulating valve as adustable and a water source. pressure gauges should be attached to the discharge side of the meter and inlet of the meter. the final assembly water source, press reduce valve, gauge, flow meter, gauge, head.with as little pipe in between then test flow at different pressures recording what pressures = what flows. then graph it. if you know the lay out of the pipe length and diameter and starting pressure. you can use standard friction loss charts to find waste. is this data to be used for marketing. i would be intested to know the results.

8. greenwayirrigation

greenwayirrigation LawnSite Member
    from ma

who cares about all that crap? fix the broken head.

9. Conserveit

greenway- you should care- for one thing if the head is broken is it going to page you and let you know- no its not. I am asking for this data so that we have solid statisics for our customers who are mostly of the state and government population.

If anyone knows of any tables or charts out there showing GPM on most standard instalations thats is what we are looking for. We do have a test lab with flow meters and such but would like to hear from people out in the field in all types of applications.

Instant rain- thanks for the post, if I get anymore info I would be happy to pass the results on.. you can send an email to me with your contact info. matt@watersav.com
    thanks

10. greenwayirrigation

greenwayirrigation LawnSite Member
    from ma

sorry, i was having a bad day and i didnt and understand the purpose of your question. i usaully dont write on web sites cause i dont know anything.