Water Meter Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AssuredServicesCo, Feb 18, 2006.

1. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

I've looked at a few water meters and see 5/8 shown on the top of the meter on a line, and others with 3/4 down on the side of the meter near the center. I've determined the 5/8 is for it's size (duh), but does the 3/4 on the side of others also indicitive of it's size. Thanks. I'm a licensed irrigator but have to learn some things like this from field experience. Input is appreciated.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Once upon a time, there was actually 5/8 inch copper pipe. I think the 5/8 water meter was sized accordingly. Maximum rated flow was 20 gpm. There were also 3/4 inch water meters, with a maximum flow rating of 30 gpm. Obviously, water hammer and flow velocity didn't figure into these ratings. The 3/4 inch meters were larger and longer than 5/8 meters. Even though the 5/8 copper pipe is now an extreme rarity, the meters remain, with 3/4 inch threads. And now, there is a sort of hybrid water meter, that has the 30 gpm flow rating of the 3/4 inch meter, in the smaller 5/8 package. Sometimes, they're designated as 3/4 x 5/8 water meters. On occasion, you can get an older 5/8 water meter swapped out for a 3/4 x 5/8 meter, and gain some extra pressure in a sprinkler system.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Every meter out here is 5/8"

All you guys with 1" meters are crazy :laugh:

4. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

so how do you know the difference between the two water meter sizes, thanks

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I think you already answered this part of the question. The size is stamped on the meter. I've never seen the hybrid 3/4 x 5/8 boots is talking about, but after some time, a 5/8 meter looks like a 5/8 meter without cleaning it up to find the size stamp. A 3/4 meter gives you slightly more flow, but in most residential settings, I don't think you will get enough difference to justify a significant change in design.

Jon, when you only water six weeks out of the year, I understand why you think 1' meters are eccentric, but if you need the water twice a week for 10-14 weeks, the extra flow is kind of handy.

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

If memory serves, Jon gets about 10" of precipitation a year [in Sequim] and that's all between November and April! :eek:

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

By that reasoning then we should be using 3" or 4" water meters since our watering season is longer and some large systems are watering six nights a week. :laugh: (And I say this as it's pouring down rain outside.)

8. Dirty Water

Your about right.

Though we got a record 6" in january alone. Yuck.

Though we work out of Sequim, we'll service everyone in about a 50-75 mile radius (Port Angeles, Port Townsend, even out West to Forks), and sequim is just a dry spot on a very wet peninsula.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, Not exactly how I meant it, but funny the king of 3+" mains replies :) And I thought western Washington was all in a 40+" / year. My mother-in-law calls it "Washington" weather everytime we have a wet period in the spring or fall. I wouldn't dream of watering about 25% of my sites with a 3/4 or smaller meter, but I have some 20+ zone systems on 1" meters too.

10. Dirty Water

It was in the teens at night this week, and mid '30s during the day.

But that is unusually cold.

The weather is why I stay in Sequim, that and the small town feel.