1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water moccasin in my yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jun 29, 2008.

1. It was in the ditch in my yard.
    I was off work yesterday so I was finally cleaning up my own yard. I was weed eating a ditch that runs along the side of my yard.
    The ditch is about 3' deep with a little water in the bottom. I'd cut it once before this season, and sprayed with broadleaf control.
    I was cutting in front of where I was walking and the trimmer line hit the snake before I even saw it. The line must have knocked it senseless. I thrashed it some more with the trimmer. Then fished it out of the water with a stick. Looking around for something to kill it I saw the edge of a brick sticking out of the ground. I laid it's head over the brick and stomped it off. It really gave me the willies!
    It was about 30" long and had a muscular triangular shaped body that was very tapered at each end. It was brown.
    They say they don't come this far north. But I have a dead one in my back yard!
    I trimmed the rest of the ditch and scared up another snake. It was swimming upstream in the water! Swam right by me! It got away. It didn't look like a moccasin though. I thought I saw stripes down it back.
    I hate trimming that ditch! But from now on it'll be trimmed regularly!
    If it wasn't my own yard I'd never take the job!
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

3. Lehighlawnpros

Lehighlawnpros LawnSite Senior Member

Scary stuff, be careful out there!

Here in Florida you'd think we would see a lot of snakes,
    but on the jobsites we rarely do.

I don't mow/trim canal banks anymore though.....
    let Batman do it :)

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

MAN down here in Texas we have encounters with snakes every day, sometimes 3 and 4 times a day....

I got bit last year by a cotton mouth, he struck me 3 times on the leg.

they wont kill ya.......duh. But you will lbe sick for about 3 days...

this year I went down and got a shot of snake venoum.... <----spelling....

it's no biggie, the largest snake I have ever fought was about 10 to 12' long...

I think he was a coach whip, Not sure because he didn't look like one....

Just be sure to study youe snakes and KEEP A SNAKE BITE KIT AT ALL TIMES......

Good Luck and snake free
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, slithery tube animals, how they ever fit all the things needed to live in that sock-looking thing, hmmm...
    Guess you didn't want to play with it...

I sometimes do but I go to pick them up so I can cuddle and pet it yet they all just pee and poop all over me, ewww!
    I might have to try slapping them around sometime, maybe that works better.
    But if they hiss watch out, that means they're getting a little bit pissed off.
    Also if they coil up, that's not a really good thing either.

And I'm guessing the day a poisonous one gets me good and I get sick for 3 days that'll learn me lol
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is more than likely what you saw, a "Brown Water Snake" looks a lot like a moccasin.

7. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

Haggerty, I used to see Water moccasin all the time when running trot lines along the Shenandoah river here in West Virginia. They were always sunning themselves on big rocks and they were big gray snakes that could swim on top and under the water very quickly.It is possible.
  8. mike plummer

mike plummer LawnSite Member

don't look for them won't find MR. no legs
  9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I really do hate snakes.....:)
  10. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Did you actually look in its mouth to see if the snake had fangs? There are numerous water snakes (non-poisonous) that do look a lot like a moc. The shape of the snakes head can tell you more than color or even markings as these vary greatly with overlap from one to another. Corn snakes are often mistaken for Copperheads in this part of the country. On the other hand, snakes can't read maps, so they go where they want and can end up about anywhere.