1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Water Problem In Backyard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy51, Mar 25, 2004.

1. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

Buying a house and the former owners had an above ground pool. Well its no longer there but there is a nice round pit which is full of water. In fact the whole area where the pool was is a mess as far as water goes. Any suggestions on what to do here? Someone suggested to put a sign out front for "fill dirt wanted". Should I use topsoil for this since I eventually want to have a nice lawn there?

Thanks guys.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

how about making a pond?

3. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

I had thought about maybe doing an inground pool but I don't think I could afford that right now.

4. CaptainslawnCare

CaptainslawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I think they call it a "French drain." three feet deep filled with crushed stone and use a metal mesh cylinder as your form. Sometimes they need to be deeper.

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Just fill it in with topsoil so you can grow some nice grass. If you use fill your most likely going to get nasty clay

6. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I did this for someone last summer. It was 8' on the deep end. I had sand hauled in, spread it with my tractor and compacted with a roller between loads, then topped with 6" of topsoil. Looked good last year, haven't been there this "spring" to see what it looks like.

7. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

If the surrounding areas are not where you would like them to be I would simply use a skid steer loader and regrade the entire plot. You will find that the existing material will fill your problem area. I would then rake seed and straw, or sod.

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

buy another above ground pool and put it in the same spot . After a long hot day you will love it

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I would french drain the area and cover with topsoil. Topsoil alone will make nothin more than a large mudhole, you have to get the water way down in the ground for it to perculate through out the subsoil.