water restrictions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jdmcat, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

during the summer, part of my town is placed on 2 day a week water restrictions. does this happen where you live and how does it affect your business?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm around Houston now...

But The DAllas Tex area where I'm from....has been on water restrictions for about 3 years now.....

It doesnt hurt at all.....

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation contractor here , based in Northeasrtern Mass. We have had odd/even watering around here since I was a kid. Actualy helps buss as people miss their day and finaly just call us. A lot of our systems are on private wells thou.

4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Our water restrictions are this...NO IRRIGATION AT ALL. Get caught 3 times and they turn your water off. This is because of the recent drought and our counties lack of planning. Does it hurt? Yea...it hurts.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We just went to a two times a week. It is going to hurt bad on annual flowers they just won't make it. And this elimiates doing small landscape jobs during the summer ....no way sod will make it in July with twice a week and most other plants wont. And a lot of properties can't be watered in the amount of time they allow on those two days. And they are eliminated watering in winter for rye grass. So I don't see how we do any lawn restorations since bermuda seed takes 2 weeks of watering and sod takes more.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see twice a week as a problem for established turf, even in the height of the summer. Deep watering twice a week should be fine, as long as they can get an inch down each time, even more in the southern states.

New installs? New seedings? Yeah, big problem. I soak the heck out of the soil when I apply seed, and then use Futerra rolls as a moisture and weed seed barrier. Then I soak the Futerra material as much as possible. Water as often as possible.

These places should have exceptions for new installs. Time to select very drought tolerant annuals. Where there is a will, there is a way.

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

My customers who are tapped into the county water supply have been on mandatory water restrictions. Some towns and people on wells are exempt. Hopefully, it will be removed this spring if we get enough rain.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda hard to get an inch of water on most of the properties due to the size and number of stations. One property has 7 controllers and 75 stations and one meter and each station must be operated seperately due to design/pressure. And basically you only get about 8 hours to operate the system. And we can go weeks at 90F

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can't get an inch down in the alotted time with low system delivery capacity... yeah, that's a problem. Is it fixable with a higher capacity system, or does water pressure put a fixed ceiling on it? Would running a seperate line with an old fashioned "put it out on the lawn" sprinkler help? Meaning is the pressure limitation a limit on the system, or the whole supply line to the property?

I can cover almost 2k with an inch in about an hour with my poor man's sprinkler, and I can run 2 at a time. Just thinking out loud here...