Water rights article

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Dec 19, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This article notes some severe water rights in the Summit County area. Summit County is home to Breckenridge and Keystone resorts. Homeowners can't use the water for outdoor hot tubs, and you can't collect rain or snow water as it is righted(?) to someone else. One "smart" couple went to Wally World and bought 200 one gallon jugs of water for their hot tub. One guy wants to wash his vehicle INSIDE his garage.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_7755290

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting article. We have a mega-mall/horse track project around here that has been stalled for 2 years trying to get water rights. They have a problem finding someone to sell them water and once they get it lined up, the lawsuits start to fly based on the seniority of the rights by those lower on the list. Thankfully, it hasn't gotten anywhere near as bad as the rain being allocated..

I suspect that water is the new oil....

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

"They told me we couldn't do that either," Mendrick said, "because every raindrop and snowflake that falls is someone else's."

This is B.S. -> what is next .... breathing air. I also question the legality of laying claim on a natural event such as a rain or snow storm.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

When we were first going thru our drought conditions, I heard the same thing. No barrels collecting water from gutters and downspouts. But who is going to actually enforce this?

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I'd have to tell em to go screw themselves. GOD allocates the rain and the snow. If you've been bad and HE decides you shouldn't be allocated any, take it up with HIM, not me.

6. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

how can they claim rain and snow if it falls on your land?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ground water does belong to the state, as established long ago. On its way from your roof to the ground, I never considered that.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Cause it's not really your land, your just leasing it from the government.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

In areas of the southwest , some people own the mineral rights undergound of their property and some dont. Is water a mineral right?

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Repeat after me - "Water belongs to the state." - not even open to discussion. There has to be this sort of arrangement, for the common good, so that some zillionaire can't just drill the deepest well, and water his posies, while everyone else dies of thirst.