1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water run-off & Subdivision sign. Ideas please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by carcrz, Jul 6, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of the family called the other day & had a water problem. She has a house on a corner lot of a subdivision. There is a brick/wood sign there w/ the subs name there. The house is about 15 years old now & the area where the sign is has settled about 2 feet. The sidewalk has not settled at all, nor has the area near the house. Basically when it rains, it creates a pond for a couple days. All of the plants have a shallow root system because they don't need to search for water as it is always damp at the very least.

This morning I did a minor repair & added 5 yards of topsoil to the area to try to bring the dirt up as much as possible. The problem is that the wood on the sign is below the sidewalk so no matter how much dirt we add it will always be a little lower in that area. I'll try to get pics if needed. Thanks for your ideas, I'm running on empty.
  2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need a pic - worth a thousand words ....
  3. carcrz

Sorry. I think we got it figured out for the time being. We'll see after this rain we're supposed to get this week. We brought the dirt up to the bottom of the wood & tried to slope it away just a little so hopefully it doesn't pool up too much like it did before.
  4. griffin_73

griffin_73 LawnSite Member

if that doesnt work try making it a dry well dig down say 4 or 5 feet put in clear stone to 12 below grade then add landscape then topsoil yea it doesnt fully get rid of the water but at least it wont be sitting on the surface
  5. carcrz

Of course the money is an issue, go figure.