water sits in a couple spots in a yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

A customer has some spots in her yard that water sites there when it's a lot of rain. It's a small yard around 8k sq ft or less. would you just rottertil the area up and add top soil or would you regrade most of the yard to make sure everything is graded currectly. Or is there something else that you would do in this case?
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

aerate, then get a post hole digger, dig a few vertical drains, holes in the lowest areas a couple feet deep then fill it with pea gravel, put a thin coat of soil on top to cover the drain. this is very effective on low area drainage.
  3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

If its alot of water you can put a drain box in and run plastic tile away from the area. You could hook it into tile that runs her downspout water away, and if she doesnt have tile that runs the dounspout water away try and sell it to her. Little water though just add some topsoil to raise the area a little.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do you just put the topsoil right on top of the pea gravel?
  5. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

will grass grow over top the pea gravel. this is new to me. i thought just add more topsoil to help with the slop (grade) wouldn't this work
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Before ripping up her yard, I'd try a wetting agent. Some soils are so "tight" that water cannot filtrate through it fast enough. A wetting agent may help in this type of situation. Just a thought....
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If it wasn't that bad I would just add a little topsoil every couple of weeks until I got it where it was good enough.
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can just top soil on top but it has a tendency to wash in to the gravel, a small piece of landscape fabric would help hold the soil from going down thru.
    I used to do these on golf course fairways all the time to stop standing water. We had some areas that we put small trenches from one hole to the other so the water would get to all the drains instead of just the lowest one taking it all the time. On the golf course we just covered them, but we also had to change the top few inches of gravel ever few years due to soil, ect. contaminating the top and plugging it off. I would use landscape fabric before covering it. a very thin layer of top soil.
    by having the hole and filling with gravel it gives more soil contact area for the water to soak in. Yes turf will grow right over it. :D
  9. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

back to this thread..

How deep would someone dig the post/drain hole? And how many would you install in general over a 1k' sqaure area that has water logged during rains.
    Want to try this first before I do a drain tile.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If we are talking small puddles due to dips in the soil then fixing the depressions with added topsoil would work.
    If you are talking about soil that won't pass water then you need to aerate and/or create a French drain. (the pea gravel thing). I would dig the hole at least 3-4 feet deep then fill the bottom with lava rock up to the a foot from the top, then a piece of landscape fabric, then 6 inches of pea gravel, some more fabric then 6 inches of topsoil.

The lava rock will fill the hole but still have tons of open space for the water to perk through. The pea gravel will firm up the area and the 6 inches of topsoil will be plenty for roots to get nutrients.