water sitting on grass Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawnboy5, May 7, 2003.

1. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

I have a condo that at the end of the blacktop where it runs it grass the water will sit there because of poor grading. Can I put a drain on the surface and just run it under ground and put rocks around it and end it about 15' away under ground? Also they wanted me to just put big rocks there and dig out the grass. If I go that route how deep do I need to put the rocks? Please help with any ideas.

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Put this on the landscape forum to get your responses.

3. Lawnboy5

Lawnboy5 LawnSite Member

i did that and it did not work

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Options may include filling the low area and regrading so the water moves away naturally across the surface if you have pitch you need.

Cut a slight swale from the low area through the high spot holding water back and resod. Make it wide so it is not a maintenance problem and to let the water move slow rather than fast and causing erosion.

You need a pitch of at least 1-1.5" per 10 ft to move the water.

The pipe idea could be complicated by the grade and not being able to dump the end out somewhere. Dumping in holes with rocks is a mess. Rocks in a swale are a mess.

The simplest way of cut the high spots and fill the low is the most effective, least obtrusive, cheapest and least agraavating in the long run.