water softener waste

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto that.

I seriously doubt the soil is sandy. Probably decomposed granite. We dig with jack hammers with spade bits around here and Jim lives in a similar environment. The majority of tree issues I run into is a combination of too much water and the tree planted in a nice tidy hole dug in decomposed granite making it a perfect pot with no drainage.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes .... my "soil container" I was referring to in the drip thread.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

marcos,

thanks, 4-6" and we have a clay soil, 7.5-8 ph we also hit hardpan on this lot from 1' to 2 1/2'

i planted 10 or 12 trees for them on the south side of the property a couple years ago, dug a 4' wide, 4' deep trench and we mixed other soils in. these trees are growing well.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

the skies above are clear, the horizon is black and we will get rain today.

argos is prolly geting hammered

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

the three counties we live and work in run the gammit from sandy soils to rock, i live in an adobe area, carl in red clay. i perk, flood irrigate and drive trucks on as soon as the surface water's gone. carl is in a clay with little perk.

as far as digging go's argos, i personally through away the pick and digging bars and use a bosch demo hammer to hand dig, i've worn 3 totally out and am on #4.

thanks for the info, i'll pass it on

stay warm

jim

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Then from the information given, it looks to me like Carl created a need & then promptly filled it.

7. ARGOS

We still use the bar(s), but I run two of the bosch brutes with spade bits and some of the smaller bosch demo hammers for "detail" work (ie. removing overflow concrete on mowing curbs to get a head in).

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if i understand you correctly, yes he prolly did. the trees on the north side of the 3 acre lot he planted the year before i planted the south side.

carl was a masonry contractor and we have traded favors for 20 yrs. he did a couple jobs for me and i dug the trench for the trees on the south side of the property and put an electric gate together with him.

jim

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Off topic a little: Marcos and I, although in different areas of Ohio, both deal with clay soils. I cry all the time about planting in clay because I moved 10 years ago from an area with sandy loam. I can't even imagine having to dig and plant in "soil" where you have to use jackhammers.

10. ARGOS

No plowing pipe here.