water supply

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 12, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what do most of you smaller guys do about water supply? i would assume some have a well, but if you don't what are some options?

also, if i was to look for cheap water somewhere to mix with my herbicides what should the test show that the water is not high in so i don't burn up grass or ruin soils?

2. get a water testing company to test it for a wetness test, this will show the results to see if it is compatible for chemicals or soils for the right wetness.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

mrkosar

In a Nut shell. Water quality is a science all to it's self. Look for water that is low in Bio Carbs for they cause surface tension or dry spots. Watch also for high (PPM)Parts Per Million of Salts and Alkynes. Most important is the pH which you can test yourself. A high pH will cause all pesticide to lose effectiveness quicker than lower pH water.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

mrkosar,

Due to the drought this summer, I didn't want to max out my well so I went to our water treatment station in town to pick up my water. They sell tokens and you can get 250 gallons of water for $2.00.

THAT IS CHEAP!

You might check into you local water treatment plant in your town.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I just use my tap water from my hose, I had it tested for salt/mineral content and test the PH occasionally. I got a test kit for free from one of my suppliers, it is easy to do.

6. mrkosar

from Ohio

lawntamers, isn't that really expensive? how many gallons do you use a week? how much did it cost you per month?

7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We installed a 1500 gal. poly tank to collect rain water off the shop roof.

You would be amazed at how quick you can collect 1500 gal. of water.

We gravity fill our truck tanks with 2" hose in minutes.

Water is pure so there are no chemical problems with control products.

As we grow or if drought persist, we will add another tank.

8. mrkosar

from Ohio

garydale,

how much did that cost? what type of company did you call for that?

thanks

9. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I fill from my well or from tap. Same water i use to water my property. Never tested it however and have never seen a sign of it being to high in anything. I also don't use as much now that i have a PG. Next season i will probably get a small skid to fill said PG.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

AWESOME IDEA!

Wish I would have thought of that!

Do you have any problems with algea or anything "growing" in the tank if the water sits in the tank for a while?