Water tank/sprayer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mmacsek, Aug 14, 2007.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

How do you water plants at a customer after an install when there isn't a convenient source? I will be using gator rings and wondered how to transport water to the site. Possibly using a tank in the back of a truck??? What does everyone use? Thanks Matt

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 225 gallon water tank that i slide inside the truck when needed.

3. mmacsek

Where did you purchase and how much? Is that gravity or is there a pump? thanks for the quick reply. Matt

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have those 200+ gallon plastic water totes with the metal cage around them. then we have a rv water pump that runs off a car battery that puts out enough pressure as a regular hose bib... the rv water pump we got at a local rv place and the totes we did as well, but ive seen them on ebay..

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a collapsible water tank with a garden hose used as gravity feed. Many sources on the web, even Amazon. I believe Northern Tool has them as well, but unable to access the web site. Have also used a pair of 55 gallon drums built on a pallet with a mounting stand, as well as seen guys use hydra seed tanks with pumps to deliver water via the attached hose.

Kirk

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I have a source that sells the used 200 gallon totes for $60.

7. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

yeah, I just went through all this too, as I water islands in a complex. Stay away from the collapsable tanks that are gravity fed. You don't get any pressure. just a trickle. And if your parked downhill from the plants, you won't even get that. I use three 55 gallon drums strapped together with a nylon strap, and I have a 12 volt pump washdown pump that I bought at West marine. I mounted the pump to the top of the middle barrell, and I made a plug that plugs into my trailer hitch on my trucks. You just need a positive and ground. When I put on my headlights on my truck the pump kicks on. I have 150 ft. of garden hose to it, and it pushes it uphill with as much pressure as my spigot on my house. Good luck.

8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

the square poly tanks with the metal cage are pretty good. they vary in size but commonly 225 or 325 gallons.

we purchase alot of dyed mulch and our vendor gives us the used dye tanks.
    so you may want to check with a dyed mulch producer.

we also purchased some larger 500 and 550 gallon tanks, and used a 5.5 hp 2" cast iron pump or more recently the echo wp1000 water pumps.

And whatever size tank remember to tie it down with straps.

9. mmacsek

Thanks for the replies. I received enough info and ideas to make this work. Matt

10. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a store like tractor supply they should have tanks.