1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Water tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWS LAWN, Jan 29, 2003.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I have a 99 F-250 4x4 PSD. I am wanting to put a water tank in the back for the drought season to water flowers and shrubs. The tank will weigh 3000 lbs. full. I know that it is a 3/4 ton truck, but has any one ever put that much weight in the back of one? It's not like I will be driving around all the time with that much weight in the back of the truck. I know I will have to get some helper springs and go to 10 ply tires to handle the weight. I could put the tank on my open trailer, but it would be nice to always have it in the back, so I could pull my enclosed trailer at the same time.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's a lot of weight for that truck. How many gallons is that approximately? Is the truck stick or automatic...makes a difference. Gonna be going through brakes quicker.

My personal truck is a F-350 PSD and I can tell you that is a lot of weight to be dragging around.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

My calculations would be about 350 gal I would put in 250 and inch it up after testing it out. I haul 200 gal plus 300 lb dry she rides pretty low. 3/4 ton Chevy 2000.

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an 88 F-250 and regularly put 3000#'s + in the bed. Before that I had add a leafs put in so it handles it better. You could also put timbrens in to help handle the load better.
  5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

there should be a label inside the door, or it would be listed as payload in the owners manual, or it would be in the chiltons repair manual for your truck. our f-250 can handle a pallet of stone, or 3500 lbs, but the brakes will wear faster. by my figures, 200 gallons of water 1600 lbs plus dry weight of spray rig, 300 gallons would be 2400 lbs plus dry weight of rig. most herbicide rigs weigh around 500 lbs with reel, hose, pump and steel frame.

6. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I use a 500 gallon surplus Army diesel skid tank in a 3500 Chevrolet, filled with water. We don't travel far with it full but it feels roadworthy. I also used to use the same tank in a 3/4 ton, when the tank was full the front end was very light.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Some same yes and some say not sure. I think I will be o.k., my truck is a long bed and I can push the tank up close to the cab.