Water Tanks

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pcs, Mar 6, 2005.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

We do not have water at our shop.

I have an idea.

I want to get a 500 gal water tank and put it on one of our trailers.

How much does 500 gal of water weigh?

My idea is to use this tank at the yard and hook a pressure washer up to it for washing trucks and equipement.

What kind of pump would I need for this? Would I just be able to use gravity to feed the water into the pressure washer?

I would also like to use this as a mobile water tank for watering our Landscape Installs.

Does anyone have a set up like this?

Any ideas?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I also would be interested in some info. I do know that water weighs approx. 6 lbs. per gallon.

Chris

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we have a 1000 gallon tank we just outfitted for watering new landscapes we put in where irrigation isnt present. we dont use it for washing trucks and such but ill grab some pics of it tomorrow to give ya some ideas. we put some quick connects on it so we can fill it with our hydroseeder. we also put several faucets on it so we can run a few hoses to run for watering.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A gallon of h20 weighs approx. 8 lbs. per..so, 4000 lbs., plus the weight of the tank. I'm not sure about gravity feeding a pressure washer.I think you need some positive constant pressure. You could set it up with a smaller on- demand pump to boost pressure to the intake hose of the PW. On site use, I would put several multi taps like Matt described, allowing for flexibilty of tank useage. A small Honda or Tanaka gas powered portable pump would be great for remote watering. We use a Robin 2 cyl. portable pump to fill our hydroseeders from the nurse tank. It's a small pumps, but with zero head, can move about 32 gallons of water per minute. I also knew a guy who set up an air bladder tank with a 300 gallon tank to keep it pressurized for watering .

5. mdb landscaping

as promised heres some pics of our completed tank.......

water tank 3.jpg

6. mdb landscaping

last shot.

water tank 1.jpg

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

One gallon of water, at 68 degrees Farenheit, weighs 8.33 pounds. 500 Gallons = 4,150 lbs

8. SteveCoff

SteveCoff LawnSite Member

Well, this is my 1st post as I'm really just a lurker here. You guys have some great general business info to share and I like the discussion on truck-related topics.

As a pressure cleaning business owner, I will tell you that you can run a pressure washer off a tank like that. It will be better if you use one that runs off a belt drive instead of a direct drive though. Try using at least a 3/4" feed line also.

9. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

To mdb landscaping---

Wouldn't that lettering on your tank, need to read "non potable water"?

My compliments on your tank though, quite a set-up!
    Looks like you spent the time and did it up right!

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic