water trailer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hoyboy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Need some help here...

I had a trailer company build a custom tank trailer...it has a 1600 gallon water tank mounted to a heavy duty dually trailer (16000 lb gvw) and a 5.5 hp honda pump. A 2" hose connects the tank to the pump. That's all fine.

What I had wanted was a variety of hose couplings coming off the pump so that I could use it for a variety of purposes. I had envisioned a "panel" that I could attach a couple different garden hoses, a couple 1" attachments for medium duty watering, and a 2" for heavy duty watering. What I got is just a single 2" hose coming off the pump itself.

Rather than arguing about it, I'm just going to take delivery and try getting this plumbed myself. I have no experience with this and was wondering if anyone has something like this, or knows if there is a ready made system I can purchase somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you doing starting your own fire company?:) Try www.Agri-Supply.com i bought some fittings from them when i bought my hydro seeder, they are reasonible.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

A trip to a hardware store for some fittings, ball valves.
  4. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I use mine all the time and use my firemans hose to water alot of plants and new sod. And I also have the adapter for using garden hoses. I got all of my fittings from Home Depot. just try to stay away from pvc fittings as they are a pain.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dan, I'm picturing a manifold assembled out of 2" galvinized piping.

It would probably be a few 2" crosses and tee's, you could mount it nicely to the trailer. Put 3-4 regular hose bib connections on it, and a 2" ball valve coming off the end if you did want to run a 2" hose.

6. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Jon - yea, I think that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Not sure how the ball couplers fit to the 2" source....are there ball couplers accepting a 2" feed coming out to a 1" (or 5/8, or 1.5", etc.) outlet?

Thanks for the help..

7. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

also remember that 3/4 pipe threads are not the same as a garden hose. The are tapered. you will need an adapter to hook the garden hose, available at all the local bix box stores. Brass 3/4 npt / 3/4 garden hose fitting (close nipple)
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dan, you'll want to pick up a 2" x 3/4" reducer bushing for each of the hose bib outlets, and then something like a bent nose boiler drain valve (kinda like a kinked faucet, I think the angle would make the handle easier to turn in this situation).

Reducer Bushing:

Boiler Drain/Hose Bib: