Water Usage - Bermuda Grass

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1simple, Jul 24, 2008.

1. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Everything I read says 1 inch per week. I live in Texas, where the summers are hot. The license irrigatior that installed my system said 3 times a week, 10 min on pop up and 20 on rotors. Everyone says less often, more deeply. How often should I water? I was thinking every 3 days, a tad more than twice a week would be better. 15 min on pop & 25 mins on rotars. It is a little more than 1/2 inch of water on rotors and some places more on the popups when I do it this way.

Or would it be better to water once a week, have it go through several cycles back to back to get 1 inch on the ground?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the pics....HOSS

3. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

??? Did you mean to reply to my post?

4. We like pics but having said that read this. Then repost on your thoughts and I will post more for you to read.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/publications/bermuda.html

5. Especially read this.

Management. Bermudagrasses, in general, are drought tolerant; that is, they survive dry soil conditions longer than most turfgrasses. However, drought tolerance in bermudagrass is based on their ability to become semidormant during severe droughts and to recover from stolons and rhizomes when moisture becomes available. The grass does not provide a desirable turf under drought conditions.

Bermudagrass does respond readily to irrigation. In general, water requirements of bermudagrass depends on turf use and climatic factors such as temperature, wind, humidity and light intensity. Water requirements increase with increasing levels of maintenance (golf green > sports field > lawn > roadside), higher temperatures, higher wind speed, lower humidity and greater light intensity. Of course, the longer the growing season the greater the water requirement for the year. Water use rates may range from less than 0.1 inch per day to 0.3 inch per day depending on these environmental conditions.

The frequency of irrigation is dependent on water use rate and soil type. Clay soils, for example, hold more water than sandy soils and, consequently, require less frequent irrigations. The depth of the rootzone also influences the frequency of irrigations. Bermudagrass roots can grow to a depth of six feet or more depending on soil profile characteristics. However, the majority of the root system, 80% or more, is found in the top 6 inches of soil. Where roots extend several feet into the soil, thorough and infrequent irrigation produces the most drought tolerant turf. Light, frequent irrigations such as practiced on golf greens produce shallow-rooted grass that shows drought stress very rapidly.

Bermudagrass does not tolerate poorly drained sites. On compacted sites and heavy clay soils, irrigation must be closely controlled to avoid waterlogged conditions. Hard, compacted sites can often be improved with respect to water penetration by core aeration and topdressing with sand or an aggregate material such as Turface. The presence of a heavy thatch layer will also interfere with water penetration. Thatch removal by vertical mowing and core aeration also improves water penetration and reduces the frequency of irrigation required.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here in Phx its 103-110 and a little bit of humidity, monsoon season. We are watering two times a week one inch of water each time to maintain good established lawns. I could stretch it to about every 5 days if clients were not so picky.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

yes as a matter of fact,I did.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

the key to great looking bermuda is about 1lb of N per month in the growing season (now) keep it fertilized and damp, our is looking darn good right now we've been averaging 1.5" a week thanks to some massive t-storms

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Where's the pics of Bermuda?

10. Too much water in bermuda means weeds and nutsedge. 1.5" to 2" per week now but cut it back as soon as you can. Over watering bermuda will ruin it. The 1" per week thing is a joke. .25 to .5 in winter and 1.5 to 2.0 in the heat of the summer. I've seen bermuda survive on one heavy watering per year. It will go dormant in the heat but its survivability is awesome. I like to keep bermuda thirsty.